Houdini 19 doesn't load AT ALL on Ubuntu 21.10

23939   105   21
7244 posts
alunablue
Upgraded Ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04 and Houdini 19.0.589 no longer works.

As Hampus says, the fix was specifically added in the daily builds AFTER the most recent 19.0.589 production build. This was intentionally done because it needs wider testing BEFORE it is released in a production build. If the other reports can be trusted, you'll need to either use the latest 19.0 daily build, or wait until the next production build in a roughly a month's time.
Edited by edward - April 25, 2022 15:56:12
14 posts
edward
alunablue
Upgraded Ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04 and Houdini 19.0.589 no longer works.

As Hampus says, the fix was specifically added in the daily builds AFTER the most recent 19.0.589 production build. This was intentionally done because it needs wider testing BEFORE it is released in a production build. If the other reports can be trusted, you'll need to either use the latest 19.0 daily build, or wait until the next production build in a roughly a month's time.

Many Thanks!
19 posts

I use karma XPU and arnold GPU render the same scene. karma XPU not support AOVS and geomety light and render very slow per frame. Arnold GPU is more production ready. AOVS and geo light all supported with faster render time. but the downside of arnold gpu is not utilize cpu and gpu at sametime. karma xpu can utilize them all. maybe I can use karma for all my rending jobs in the future
56 posts
OOYYAT

I use karma XPU and arnold GPU render the same scene. karma XPU not support AOVS and geomety light and render very slow per frame. Arnold GPU is more production ready. AOVS and geo light all supported with faster render time. but the downside of arnold gpu is not utilize cpu and gpu at sametime. karma xpu can utilize them all. maybe I can use karma for all my rending jobs in the future

Why is this relevant to this thread?
1 posts
Hello

I trying to load Houdini with export LD_PRELOAD="/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc_malloc_debug.so.0". However - possible that I'm just stupid -, this file is not present on my system.

michael@go:/opt/sidefx/launcher/bin $ hostnamectl 
   Static hostname: go
         Icon name: computer-laptop
           Chassis: laptop
        Machine ID: ...
           Boot ID: ...
  Operating System: Linux Mint 20.3
            Kernel: Linux 5.4.0-122-generic
      Architecture: x86-64

I coudn't find out which package is necessary to have libc_malloc_debug.so.0available. Anyone here to point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much,
Michael
7244 posts
Do NOT do this anymore. Just use the latest 19.0 production build. The libc issue was fixed back in 19.0.594.

If an unconfigured latest 19.0 production build doesn't start up on your Linux box, then it's more than likely it's just because you don't have all the required packages. Under https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/ [www.sidefx.com] it says
libxkbcommon-x11, libxcb-icccm4, and libxcb-render-util packages required for Linux users

If you continue to encounter Qt errors on startup, then check that you have installed the Qt required packages found here:
Qt for X11 Requirements https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-requirements.html [doc.qt.io]

And if that still doesn't work, it's a different issue and log a bug with support (see Support > Report a Bug/RFE above).
  • Quick Links