Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 19 doesn't load AT ALL on Ubuntu 21.10
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini 19 doesn't load AT ALL on Ubuntu 21.10
LukeP
So I was very excited... downloaded Houdini 19 Linux verison (I have 18.5 apprentice installed).

Ran the houdini.install. Got message at the end of installation that houdini has completed successfully.

Great... Click the Houdini Apprentice icon - Nothing Happens... no splash screen... no error... just nothing... as if I never clicked it. So much for the joy lol.
Andi Farhall
Might need a new license install I think. I've an indie and that needed a new license install before it would work.
protozoan
LukeP
Click the Houdini Apprentice icon - Nothing Happens...

If it's not the licensing issue mentioned above, you may try to launch it via shell, to see if it's chattier about possible errors or what they are.
LukeP
Thank you. How would I launch it via shell?
protozoan
Pop open a shell, go into the directory where houdini installed to, and source the environment, like so

cd /opt/hfs19.0.383
source houdini_setup_bash

Then, for this shell, the environment is sourced. Go into your project directory and you can start houdini (don't do this in the install directory, navigate to your project directory first).

houdinifx &

or

houdini &

In the same shell you should then see the error outputs, when it bombs.
chrism
Also, if you contact support@sidefx.com they can help get you up and running.
LukeP
protozoan
Pop open a shell, go into the directory where houdini installed to, and source the environment, like so

cd /opt/hfs19.0.383

Then, for this shell, the environment is sourced. Go into your project directory and you can start houdini (don't do this in the install directory, navigate to your project directory first).

houdinifx &

or

houdini &

Thank you. Same process for the Apprentice version?
johnmather
Yes. You can either launch via happrentice, or houdini as it will fall back to apprentice if a commercial license cannot be found.
LukeP
johnmather
Yes. You can either launch via happrentice, or houdini as it will fall back to apprentice if a commercial license cannot be found.
Thank you. Will try that tonight.
LukeP
protozoan

cd /opt/hfs19.0.383

houdinifx &

or

houdini &

So... I did all of the above...
When I type houdini & I get
"munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer
Aborted (core dumped) houdini"

I have also notice that my /home/luke/houdini19.0 directory only has 'houdini.env' file in it. houdini18.5 directory has many many more files.
pavelsiska
Same problem here
kubo-von
The munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer seems to be caused by changes introduced in glibc 2.34 which Ubuntu 21.10 is using.
Some functionality has been removed and now is only available when preloading libc_malloc_debug.so.0 (source [sourceware.org])

so the hotfix is to do
export LD_PRELOAD="/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc_malloc_debug.so.0"
before launching Houdini with hindie,hescape or happrentice command.
LukeP
kubo-von
The munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer seems to be caused by changes introduced in glibc 2.34 which Ubuntu 21.10 is using.
Some functionality has been removed and now is only available when preloading libc_malloc_debug.so.0 (source [sourceware.org])

so the hotfix is to do
export LD_PRELOAD="/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc_malloc_debug.so.0"
before launching Houdini with hindie,hescape or happrentice command.
It worked! You're a genius! I'll let SideFX support know. Hopefully they can fix it in next prod build.
Thank you!
mariusz8
In my case this fix is not working:
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Ubuntu 21.10
lrntbrt
Same issue for 18.5, but that hot fix doesn't work for me.
kubo-von
lrntbrt

Are you getting the munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer error or some other ?
Because the LD_PRELOAD trick should take care of that one ,even for 18.5, I've just tested it.
kubo-von
mariusz8
In my case this fix is not working:
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Ubuntu 21.10

That's a different error though.
You have to do
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0
to fix this one.
mariusz8
Yes, I was getting this munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer error and after LD_PRELOAD trick i get this one about qt.plugin.
But reinstalling libxcb-xinerama0 worked fine !!
Thank you
lrntbrt
kubo-von
lrntbrt

Are you getting the munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer error or some other ?
Because the LD_PRELOAD trick should take care of that one ,even for 18.5, I've just tested it.

Can, I ask. Are you on a fresh install of ubuntu 20.10? or did you upgrade from a previously installed version

EDIT: I got it to work, thanks for the help!!!
chrism
Apparently some users had luck installing some linux missing libraries:
sudo apt install libopengl0 freeglut3 freeglut3-dev
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.