Search - User list
Full Version: Karma Holdout Mode
Root » Solaris and Karma » Karma Holdout Mode
suesssebastian
Hi.

I've trying to work with matte objects in my current scene.
When i set it up with in "render geometry settings" it works fine with cpu rendering but not with xpu.

Is there a workaround or am i doing something wrong?
dlee
Hi. Holdout mattes aren't supported in XPU yet.
suesssebastian
Thanks good to know.
bender83
Is there any sort of timeframe that this is expected to be rolled in? I could be using XPU in production for some volumes which are currently prohibitively long in CPU but for the lack of holdouts!
bender83
Is this supported in 19.5?
dlee
bender83

Yes.
For full list of supported features in XPU please refer to https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/karma_xpu.html [www.sidefx.com]
AhmedHindy
dlee
bender83

Yes.
For full list of supported features in XPU please refer to https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/karma_xpu.html [www.sidefx.com]
you just gave me the bright idea of trying XPU in production. This might actually be worth it now since we always have mattes.
Vladimir Shelest
What am I doing wrong? (H19.5.337)
I've setup a render with matte object to get a proper holdout for my smoke. Everything looks good and in general render time around 9-10sec per frame in viewport with Karma XPU. But when I press "Render to Disk" render time become 1-1,5 min per frame... Why?
jsmack
Vladimir Shelest
I've setup a render with matte object to get a proper holdout for my smoke. Everything looks good and in general render time around 9-10sec per frame in viewport with Karma XPU. But when I press "Render to Disk" render time become 1-1,5 min per frame... Why?

does it take 1.5 minutes to write out your scene, and then load it in again? You might want to use 'render all frames in one batch' if you have very fast frames.
Vladimir Shelest
jsmack
Vladimir Shelest

does it take 1.5 minutes to write out your scene, and then load it in again? You might want to use 'render all frames in one batch' if you have very fast frames.

I've tried to use 'Render All Frames With a a Single Process' but no difference. Same behaviour. Vieport render is fast, render to disk is pretty slow. I think this is depend somehow of matte objects because only one difference between renders is "render geometry settings" node with activated matte settings for some objects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.