Search - User list
Full Version: How to get old file cache node in Houdini 19
Root » Houdini Lounge » How to get old file cache node in Houdini 19
haohao
I like old file cache node, now I open up houdini 19 I only get file cache node 2.0
Enivob
If you change the File Path drop down from constructed to explicit, the new one works petty much the same as the old one.
tamte
or you can switch to old one if you want
first set Assets/Asset Definition Toolbar/Show Always

then select a filecache::2.0 node and pick different version from the dropdown above Parameters
matt_barker
Enivob
the new one works petty much the same as the old one.
May be a stupid question then, but how do you get the new file cache to pass-through write? So you can for example, run a Flipbook render of your sim, while caching vdbs to disk at the same time. I do this a lot in houdini18.5 but cant work it out.

EDIT:Thinking about this some more, I probably should be setting up openGL rops or something in TOPs for this to update my workflow. Any input appreciated
Adriano
the new file cache is rubbish. Explicit or constructed it does not save the file while just playbacking the scene. it's horrible.

before you could just merge several file cache together and just playbacking would force caching all file cache nodes at the same time... well good bye this little handy hack. Grrrr.
jsmack
Adriano
the new file cache is rubbish. Explicit or constructed it does not save the file while just playbacking the scene. it's horrible.

before you could just merge several file cache together and just playbacking would force caching all file cache nodes at the same time... well good bye this little handy hack. Grrrr.

Use the file sop, the extra tooling on the filecache node isn't really compatible with that workflow.
ati
Adriano
Unfortunately, the 'Automatic' file mode is indeed not included. It is simply a 'write' or 'read' tool to make the topnet integration simpler.

While not the most ideal if you used to that workflow, as mentioned by others, I would also recommend to switch back to the previous filecache version if this is a must feature for you, or please use the file sop.
Adriano
ati
Adriano
Unfortunately, the 'Automatic' file mode is indeed not included. It is simply a 'write' or 'read' tool to make the topnet integration simpler.

While not the most ideal if you used to that workflow, as mentioned by others, I would also recommend to switch back to the previous filecache version if this is a must feature for you, or please use the file sop.

Sorry for the "Rubbish" comment, it's a bit much, eh. And it's on me because indeed i had no idea that the file sop allowed writing, i only ever used it to load geos, and in that state, as a first node, the possiblity to write is greyed out, i had never ever noticed that. One more thing i overlooked and never bothered reading the documentation over.

Thanks for pointing that out, such a simple feature that sometimes allows cooking several caches without having to send talks out. Just merging all nodes and playbacking is such a handy thing at times.

Cheers,

A.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.