Material X images and ACES

2353   4   3
645 posts
Hi all.

I have just set up Houdini for OCIO 1.3 What I am wondering if do I need to convert my regular sRGB exr images to ACES before I convert them to RAT files or does MaterialX and Karma (assuming Karma has been set up for ACES-CG)convert images on the fly?

Best. Mark

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (84.9 KB)

Staff
1448 posts
There is a File Color Space just above the Filename parameter, where you can specify the color space. This ends up as a metadata on an attribute of a USD shader primitive (or as an attribute of the MaterialX shader input). Renderers should repspect that space, but I'm not sure how well it get transported over Hydra.
645 posts
Hi. Thanks Rafal!

Best
88 posts
Hello,
The file colour space does not seem to be reading my aces config as it only allows me to select lin rec 709 or lin rgb.

Is this normal behaviour, or do I need to set up the aces config somewhere separate for it to work in material x ?
7759 posts
TangheStudent
Hello,
The file colour space does not seem to be reading my aces config as it only allows me to select lin rec 709 or lin rgb.

Is this normal behaviour, or do I need to set up the aces config somewhere separate for it to work in material x ?

That's expected. I don't think the material x color spaces are related to ocio configs. You can ignore that parameter for now since it doesn't do anything yet.
  • Quick Links