Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini Engine 19 - Session lost
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Houdini Engine 19 - Session lost
bluecipher
Hi,

I have significant issues with Houdini Engine 19.0.455 and Unreal. I have a simple HDA for importing a heightfield, which I can import into UE, configure and cook, but right after cooking (before creating the corresponding UE actors) the Houdini Engine session is lost. The Output Log contains the following message:

LogHoudiniEngine:    bc_import_terrain_2 FinishedCooking.
LogHoudiniEngine: Error: Houdini Engine Session lost! This could be caused by a crash in HARS.
LogHoudiniEngine: Error: Hapi failed: 

I can successfully restart the session (or create a new one), but the behavior is always the same. I get that problem with any UE version (e.g. 4.27.2, UE5-EA2). However, the very same HDA works fine in Unreal when using HE 18.5.xx (and works fine in Unity as well).

Any ideas? I'm happy to provide further information (but you'll have to tell me where to look )
arcecho8374
If the resolution of the heightfield is larger than 3620x2620, the session will be lost when cooking.
dpernuit
Hi,

This issue will be fixed in tomorrow's daily build of the plugin.

It was caused by an update to the thrift libraries (thrift is what we use for data transport between H and the plugin) in H19.0 that introduced a max buffer size for transporting data to/from the session.

This caused thrift and the HE session to shutdown when going above that limit, which is roughly the equivalent of a 3600x3600 HF as you noticed.

We now send/receive the data in chunks when bigger than the buffer max size, which solves the issue.
mohamads@sidefx.com
The more geometry input I add the more likely the session sync fails.

```Warning
Invalid sop specified: "../../track_visualizer_input0_Merge". ```

I tried merging the hole geo and running it through all at once, but I get the same issue
Is Houdini Engine not designed to handle large amount of data?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.