Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini ocean to Unreal Engine
Root » Houdini for Realtime » Houdini ocean to Unreal Engine
Magro
Hi to everyone!

First of all, if this post is missplaced please accept my appologies. this matter has been beating me around to the point that i dont even know exactly what i am looking for!

guys i am relatively new to houdini, i am a musician and im learning so i can make a vision become reality, its been 3 months and im kinda getting my head around it through tutorials and strong efforts and i have been really sucessfull thus far! i am creating a world to make a VR video album, for this i am using houdini heightfields and that part is almost 100% done, i have sucessfuly managed to build the terrain exactly as i wanted it, got the layers right, managed to export to UE4 with instances and materials, built a custom skybox, materials are looking great in UE4 with quixel, even placed a beautiful custom made moon. that been said, now i have started to put an ocean in my world and things got too tricky, i cant find a specific tutorial to follow along that serves my needs. i managed to use the large ocean tool and tweaked it to the point that fits my needs, so here is where the nightmare starts, i cant get a grip on how to make the ocean collide with the terrain, tutorials approach only other ocean tools, the export ways i was using dont seem to work for my ocean. so PLEASE, SOMEONE, TELL ME:

question number 1
how do i get the ocean to collide with the shore cliffs in my terrain?

i also have stone pillars next to the cliffs:

question number 2
what would be the best approach to make these stone pillars interact with my ocean?

and last but by-no-means least:
question number 3

how do i export this ocean with loop (since its for a game-like thing and cannot be too heavy), collisions, shader and everything into UE4 or 5?

i dont usually ask for help, but this time i have no choyce, fluids are still too alien for me, so any help, tip or tutorial links are very much welcome!

PS: please answer me as if you were talking to a child and resume it like houdini for dummies, after i started houdini i came to realize that im not very bright.

thanks for your time and patience!!
JasOnn
If you are using Unreal's landscape then you should definitely try their new-ish ocean and river tools. They work brilliantly together and look amazing right out of the box.

Couldnt tell by your description, but if you're not using their landscape, then their water system wont work, but there isnt much reason to not use landscapes. You can use the Houdini heightfield layer exports (or an HDA directly in Unreal) to generate the landscape.

Check out their walk-through on the water setup too, its pretty straight forward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Ft7UaYayM [www.youtube.com]
Magro
JasOnn
If you are using Unreal's landscape then you should definitely try their new-ish ocean and river tools. They work brilliantly together and look amazing right out of the box.

Couldnt tell by your description, but if you're not using their landscape, then their water system wont work, but there isnt much reason to not use landscapes. You can use the Houdini heightfield layer exports (or an HDA directly in Unreal) to generate the landscape.

Thanks a lot for your reply jasOnn. The landscape was entirely made in houdini and exported to UE4 through HDA, i exported to unreal to use the quixel assets plus a few other features. Tho i am an enthusiast of unreal the water features there (cinematic wise) are just a nono, i got a beautifull realistic ocean in houdini and wanted to export to have the entire project in unreal but was told that unreal would never be able to reproduce the houdini large ocean shader because only mantra could render it. To make a long story short the workflow now is to shoot the green screen, get the camera tracking data to unreal to render the scene and in houdini to render just water, I even created a chromakey material for the water bodys in unreal to make it easier to composit. then comp everythibg back together (scene and water) in nuke.

Ps: i did tryed ue water systems but is buggy, crashes too often and the whole thing really could use some love from their programmers. Its not as simple as tutorials make believe and the end result is not believable at all.

Thank you and stay safe!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.