Issue with Karma CPU renderer.....black frames

2397   3   0
8 posts
I am trying to render a basic bonfile from the shelf tools and numerous frames come out black?! They appear to be empty frames?! (the actual bonefine starts at frame 60 but this is after that .... sometimes several frames in a row.) This of course causes flickering when I attempt to play it. I am using Karma on CPU on the 455 build. I tried even switching disks as the original disk I was rendering to occasionally disconnects but that made no difference. I know it rendered correctly on 383. One other note...when I open this file I see an error about attributes (don't have it in front of me.)....I tried replacing the node to see if that would make a difference but it doesn't seem to. Thoughts? I'm going to try using a different render engine as soon as I get a chance.
2529 posts
Try kicking out an MPlay viewport render. That would be a quick test.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8 posts
Enivob
Try kicking out an MPlay viewport render. That would be a quick test.
Tried it...same result...flickering. Wonder if it's a bug in 455? I rendered it originally in 383 with no issue.
378 posts
Any news on this? I am having the exact same issue with the .622 build.
Billowing smoke shelf tool renders every few frames black.
In the Karma viewport, rendering to Mplay and to disk, all the same.

Edit:

I think I found what this issue is related to. When I run a simulation with mem cache on and the render with Karma I get a black frame every now and then. However, if I turn off mem cache and render the sim directly (simming every frame at render time) then all is fine.
Tested in .589, .622 and .655.
Edited by OneBigTree - June 22, 2022 14:57:14
  • Quick Links