Search - User list
Full Version: Unreal skeletal mesh export/import/export
Root » Houdini for Realtime » Unreal skeletal mesh export/import/export
annabd
Hey folks -

I'm trying to export a skeletal mesh from Unreal, bring it into Houdini, modify the mesh, export an FBX, and read it back into Unreal.

Not having much luck. Even importing a skeletal mesh and immediately exporting it again doesn't work. Why? Because -- among other things -- Houdini effectively changes the skeleton structure and pathnames.

Seems like a real basic functional test should be confirming an unmodified round-trip between platforms. No such luck.

Is there an established workflow for this? I've seen some videos, but they're not using real rigs -- just the UE mannequin.

Alternatively, is there a way to control FBX pathname generation? It includes the entire Houdini object hierarchy. So, if I have a skeleton called, "Foo", I get "Foo/root/..." That's incorrect -- the Foo shouldn't be on there. The root of the path should be original root bone name you imported. I understand where it's coming from in Houdini; but it's not workable. I'd need an object with no name for this to work.

Anyone done this successfully?

Thanks!
-anna
gguillermix
Would love to get some eyes on this, as I'm in the same situation, just with Unity instead of Unreal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.