47:17 :)

6116   24   6
132 posts
Did the tests again (haven't touched the AS build for some time). Quite a lot faster in all areas and I got these timings on the vfx arabia tests:

MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max with 64 GB ram. Using native Mac build 19.5.399

Pyro 0.02: 18 min 2s, 0.05: 53s
Grain 0.01: 7 min 0 s, 0.02: 48s
Flip 0.05: 30 min 3s, 015: 1 min 14s

Has anyone access to an Ultra or do we know how it scales for these workloads?
Looks to me that the Flip is an extra good fit for M1 arch.
14 posts
filipw
Has anyone access to an Ultra or do we know how it scales for these workloads?
Looks to me that the Flip is an extra good fit for M1 arch.

I have an Ultra with 128GB and can run those again. Will update here later today once I’ve had a chance to find the numbers.

But I noticed the same thing for an earlier build - FLIP had a significant boost. I think that’s partly because of the sheer volume of data that needs to be moved from GPU to CPU and back each frame. Compared to pyro it seems that pyro can do more calculation on the GPU already, or the pyro volumes don’t need to be as dense/data heavy to properly simulate. Apple silicon architecture does really well with it’s shared GPU/CPU memory access.
132 posts
Goldwaters
I have an Ultra with 128GB and can run those again. Will update here later today once I’ve had a chance to find the numbers.
Not to pressure you ( yeah right hehe) , but did you have a chance to test your ultra on some of the vfx arabia tests? Very curious.
Edited by filipw - Oct. 26, 2022 04:51:46
chf
130 posts
Goldwaters

have you been able to test it yet?
132 posts
I had some conversation with Goldwaters and let's say that the Ultra doesn't disappoint! Somewhere between a 5950x and 7950x. I guess it's better he posts his finding himself though.
  • Quick Links