Search - User list
Full Version: Could you update Houdini Engine for UE5 Preview 2 please?
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Could you update Houdini Engine for UE5 Preview 2 please?
johnlilpy
UE5 Preview 2 has been release and Houdini Engine for Preview 1 does not work with UE5 Preview 2. Could you update https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal [github.com] for the Preview 2 version? Thanks a lot.
Marcin Sus
HE works with Preview-2. You need to download this version:
https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/releases/tag/v2.0.8 [github.com]
Sergey Filin
johnlilpy
UE5 Preview 2 has been release and Houdini Engine for Preview 1 does not work with UE5 Preview 2. Could you update https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal [github.com] for the Preview 2 version? Thanks a lot.
marcin.sus
HE works with Preview-2. You need to download this version:
https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/releases/tag/v2.0.8 [github.com]
Does HE for UE P2 works fine for you guys? As I am facing with the "Failed to start the Houdini session..." warning while my HE 2.0.8 plugin, Houdini 19.0.531, UE P2 and licenses are installed properly. However everything works fine with the same version of HE plugin 2.0.8 for UE EA2 on the same PC.
Marcin Sus
I forgot to mention that I'm using engine compiled from source and actual plugin has different version inside source code which is 19.0.554
I have modified DefaultEngine.ini (you can change also from HoudiniEngine -> Plugin Settings)
[/Script/HoudiniEngineRuntime.HoudiniRuntimeSettings]
HoudiniExecutable=HRSHE_HoudiniIndie
CustomHoudiniLocation=(Path="C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 19.0.531/bin")
and I've changed version in HoudiniEngine.Build.cs
string HoudiniVersion = "19.0.531";

Version mismatch might be the reason why UE5 is not able do discover matching HE.
If setting Houdini Location won't help and you are using engine from launcher you will need plugin binaries for 19.0.531.
I'm not sure why plugin HoudiniEngine-v2.0.8-H19.0.531-UE5.00-preview2.zip is changed to 554 version.

I hope this will help.
Cheers.
Bob_Cober
Release binaries on github have been updated to support 19.0.531

https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/releases/download/v2.0.8/HoudiniEngine-v2.0.8-H19.0.531-UE5.00-preview2.zip [github.com]

Thanks
Bob
ajz3d
Got an error while compiling UE5 and HoudiniEngineForUnreal:
[2697/4024] Compile Module.HoudiniEngineEditor.1_of_4.cpp
In file included from /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Intermediate/Build/Linux/B4D820EA/UnrealEditor/Development/HoudiniEngineEditor/Module.HoudiniEngineEditor.1_of_4.cpp:9:
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngineEditor/Private/HoudiniEngineDetails.cpp:1130:3: error: misleading indentation; statement is not part of the previous 'if' [-Werror,-Wmisleading-indentation]
return MainHAC->bCookOnParameterChange ? ECheckBoxState::Checked : ECheckBoxState::Unchecked;
^
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngineEditor/Private/HoudiniEngineDetails.cpp:1127:8: note: previous statement is here
if (!IsValidWeakPointer(MainHAC))
^
1 error generated.

BTW, I'm compiling the release version of UE5, not the preview. I probably should have started a separate thread, sorry.
rmagee
The Houdini Engine for Unreal Engine 5 plug-in will be available with the daily builds of Houdini starting with build 19.0.581 which includes the new plug-in as part of the Houdini installation package.
Fele
Hi,
I just tried launching UE5 with the daily build engine plugin from 585 and below but I keep getting this error...

Anything I need to adjust? Worked always fine with 4.2x..

Thanks
Felix
AeroAstroArts
rmagee
The Houdini Engine for Unreal Engine 5 plug-in will be available with the daily builds of Houdini starting with build 19.0.581 which includes the new plug-in as part of the Houdini installation package.
Thanks but when I installed it through the launcher it doesn't appear on the top menu like you would expect and didn't show up in the Plugins direcory. I have 19.0.585 installed. Unreal 4.27 and the latest 5.0 (I don't think this is Preview 2 any more as I got the same error message as the fella above when I tried to install the github version using 19.0.561).
ajz3d
rmagee
Thanks. I'll give it another try once the next production build comes out.
Fele
AeroAstroArts
I got the same error message as the fella above

As of today, it looks like with the daily built 19.0.587 my problem which I mentioned in my last post is gone.
nazirull
Fele
Hi,
I just tried launching UE5 with the daily build engine plugin from 585 and below but I keep getting this error...

Anything I need to adjust? Worked always fine with 4.2x..

Thanks
Felix

Only copy and paste the 'HoudiniEngine' folder in the '5.0' folder into '\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\' folder and it worked for me.

But now I am getting the 'failed to start unreal engine houdini' in Unreal 5 too. Havent tried any fix yet
ajz3d
With 19.0.589 GenerateProjectFiles.sh throws a lot of errors:
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(44,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Tools' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngineRuntime/HoudiniEngineRuntime.Build.cs(44,44): error CS0117: 'UnrealTargetPlatform' does not contain a definition for 'Switch'
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(60,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(74,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(84,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(94,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(105,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(116,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(126,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(136,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(150,21): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(160,25): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(179,21): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(186,25): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(214,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(220,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(224,9): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(241,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(249,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(260,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
ERROR: Unhandled exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EpicGames.Core.FileSystemReference.CombineStrings(DirectoryReference BaseDirectory, String[] Fragments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Core/FileSystemReference.cs:line 65
at EpicGames.Core.DirectoryReference.Combine(DirectoryReference BaseDirectory, String[] Fragments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Core/DirectoryReference.cs:line 147
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.CreateRulesAssemblyProject(RulesAssembly RulesAssembly, DirectoryReference FSPathBase) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/ProjectFiles/ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 605
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(PlatformProjectGeneratorCollection PlatformProjectGenerators, String[] Arguments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/ProjectFiles/ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 1081
at UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFilesMode.Execute(CommandLineArguments Arguments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Modes/GenerateProjectFilesMode.cs:line 234
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String[] ArgumentsArray) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 593
Mindark
ajz3d
With 19.0.589 GenerateProjectFiles.sh throws a lot of errors:
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(44,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Tools' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngineRuntime/HoudiniEngineRuntime.Build.cs(44,44): error CS0117: 'UnrealTargetPlatform' does not contain a definition for 'Switch'
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(60,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(74,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(84,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(94,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(105,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(116,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(126,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(136,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(150,21): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(160,25): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(179,21): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(186,25): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(214,17): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(220,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(224,9): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(241,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(249,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
/opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine/Source/HoudiniEngine/HoudiniEngine.Build.cs(260,13): error CS0103: The name 'Log' does not exist in the current context
ERROR: Unhandled exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EpicGames.Core.FileSystemReference.CombineStrings(DirectoryReference BaseDirectory, String[] Fragments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Core/FileSystemReference.cs:line 65
at EpicGames.Core.DirectoryReference.Combine(DirectoryReference BaseDirectory, String[] Fragments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/Shared/EpicGames.Core/DirectoryReference.cs:line 147
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.CreateRulesAssemblyProject(RulesAssembly RulesAssembly, DirectoryReference FSPathBase) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/ProjectFiles/ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 605
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(PlatformProjectGeneratorCollection PlatformProjectGenerators, String[] Arguments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/ProjectFiles/ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 1081
at UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFilesMode.Execute(CommandLineArguments Arguments) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Modes/GenerateProjectFilesMode.cs:line 234
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String[] ArgumentsArray) in /opt/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 593

This problem happened to us when we cloned the Github repo.
We solved this issue by installing Houdini on the computer, browsing the folder where the UE5 plugin is located, and manually copying the plugin code to our codebase. After this everything worked for us.
Bob_Cober
Mindark
This problem happened to us when we cloned the Github repo.
We solved this issue by installing Houdini on the computer, browsing the folder where the UE5 plugin is located, and manually copying the plugin code to our codebase. After this everything worked for us.

When you cloned on github, which branch did you select? (The 4.27 branch is still selected by default - we will update the default branch to 5.0)

Thanks
Bob
alexmont
I am looking for Houdini Engine version to work with Houdini 18.5.759 and UE5.0.1. Where can I find that?

Thanks
Alex
ajz3d
GenerateProjectFiles.shcompletes successfully with Houdini19.0-Unreal5.00git branch (last commit: 0ae9a590001eaf01a75db0573b4add04d173b7e3). That's for production build 19.0.610, so it doesn't even require changing of version number in HoudiniEngine.Build.cs.

I'll see if I can compile the engine now.

EDIT: Okay, it compiled perfectly fine. No errors, no warnings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.