Fade out of particles

2260   4   0
7 posts
I followed this tutorial:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySzeEniScs&ab_channel=timjdesign [www.youtube.com]

The idea is to have on the left 100% particles and to the right 0% particles with a smooth transition . Then later export it as alembic to render it out in C4D Octane.
I've made a quick sketch in illustrator what I have roughly in mind. See attachments.

I followed everything from the tutorial above and added a popwind and a popcolor node. In the popcolor I used the alpha function for the fade out, it seems ok in Houdini, but when I export it as alembic and render it in c4d octane, there is no fade out. I don't know if the popwind and popcolor is the right approach. Also i need a smooth transition in particles from left (100%) to right (0%) in the outline text. I don't how i can set this up. Please, who can help me out?

Tim
Edited by timwtw - March 25, 2022 08:38:27

Attachments:
fade-sketch.JPG (30.5 KB)
fade-sketch2.JPG (51.5 KB)
houdini-setup1.JPG (94.6 KB)
houdini-setup2.JPG (253.3 KB)
houdini-setup3.JPG (117.3 KB)
houdini-setup4.JPG (136.1 KB)
houdini-setup5.JPG (92.0 KB)
houdini-setup6.JPG (239.7 KB)
houdini-setup7.JPG (281.8 KB)
Octane-render-c4d.JPG (71.3 KB)

236 posts
It's a good idea to not flood the forum with a wall of images. Better if you can just
use a couple, and supply the hip file.

I would never use popcolor node, everything you need to color the particles can and should be done outside
of the solver.

When you export data, the color attribute will be stored in the particles, but it is up to you to hook up
that Cd attribute in the other package/renderer. Just like Mantra will "use point color" you need to have Cd connected
up to your shader for it's diffuse color.

L
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
7 posts
lewis_T
It's a good idea to not flood the forum with a wall of images. Better if you can just
use a couple, and supply the hip file.

I would never use popcolor node, everything you need to color the particles can and should be done outside
of the solver.

When you export data, the color attribute will be stored in the particles, but it is up to you to hook up
that Cd attribute in the other package/renderer. Just like Mantra will "use point color" you need to have Cd connected
up to your shader for it's diffuse color.

L
Thank you Lewis.
But if you wouldn't use the popcolor node, which one would you use instead to simulate a fade out of particles?
Edited by timwtw - March 25, 2022 10:14:19
166 posts
I don't fully understand how the animation is supposed to look like. But regarding the Alpha attribute, it's either an export problem or a shader problem. You need to make sure that the attribute actually arrives in C4D, and that the Octane shader reads it and uses it to control the particle opacity.

Regarding the color node, it's generally a good idea to do as little as possible within the sim. Your sim looks straightforward and probably doesn't take long to calculate, so it shouldn't matter much. In general, if you wanted to colorize from left to right, you could do so after the sim, by reading the particle's position and colorizing accordingly.
7 posts
Digipiction
I don't fully understand how the animation is supposed to look like. But regarding the Alpha attribute, it's either an export problem or a shader problem. You need to make sure that the attribute actually arrives in C4D, and that the Octane shader reads it and uses it to control the particle opacity.

Regarding the color node, it's generally a good idea to do as little as possible within the sim. Your sim looks straightforward and probably doesn't take long to calculate, so it shouldn't matter much. In general, if you wanted to colorize from left to right, you could do so after the sim, by reading the particle's position and colorizing accordingly.
Hi Digipiction, the purpose is actually for a still image, not an animation.
If you have any suggestions where I can follow any tutorials about this, please let me know
  • Quick Links