mix shader in karma it's possibile?

3373   9   0
98 posts
Hi i have a question about mix shader in karma its supported and if yes how? karma cpu
7733 posts
Piledriver
Hi i have a question about mix shader in karma its supported and if yes how? karma cpu

Mix mantra shaders, like the principled shader, with a layer mix.

For material X shaders, use a mtlx mix node. XPU does not yet support the mix shader.
98 posts
Hi, thanks for the answer, i tried that layer mix but i don't see anything inside the render maybe i did something wrong
98 posts
).png
Edited by Piledriver - April 12, 2022 15:03:30

Attachments:
(2).png (7.9 MB)

7733 posts
Piledriver
Hi, thanks for the answer, i tried that layer mix but i don't see anything inside the render maybe i did something wrong

I can't tell what you're doing wrong, but a similar network is working for me. You forgot to use a mask of some kind, but that should be okay as it will mix using a constant value.

Attachments:
layer_materials_karma.hip (1.3 MB)
layered.png (1.2 MB)

98 posts
i'm using houdini 19.0.561, i can't get it working, i tried also with a mask using osme noise but didn't work
Edited by Piledriver - April 13, 2022 04:49:13
98 posts
ok seems a bug realated to that houdini version, now i tried with a old houdini 19 release and work
Edited by Piledriver - April 13, 2022 05:23:03
83 posts
As I see basic feature like layering and mixing still doesn't support XPU in h19.5

Soo how they can call it BETA if basic feature like layering and mixing still doesn't supported?

And don't get me wrong sidefx are doing amazing job
Edited by habernir - July 22, 2022 03:29:40
7733 posts
Is it a basic feature though? It's not even important or necessary the vast majority of the time. What defines material complexity is number of bsdfs, and the standard surface has plenty of those. Layering effects can be done on the input side and get almost the same result as layering on the bsdf side. I know some artists like to treat everything like layers, but it's a lot less efficient to build a shader that way.
12427 posts
jsmack
Is it a basic feature though? It's not even important or necessary the vast majority of the time. What defines material complexity is number of bsdfs, and the standard surface has plenty of those. Layering effects can be done on the input side and get almost the same result as layering on the bsdf side. I know some artists like to treat everything like layers, but it's a lot less efficient to build a shader that way.

It depends on your authoring strategy. Some companies (like ours) prefer to carry large templates of layered materials, which is done for long-term durability and maintenance convenience, along with a strong hint of legacy. Sure, there are other ways to do it, sometimes with the goal of being more efficient for the renderer, or for rapid authoring using tools like Substance/etc for example. The latter approach is probably more common in modern or smaller-scale pipelines - which is just a guess of mine, really. Either way, I expect SideFX might address layer mixing in short shrift if you make your voice heard... which you now have
Edited by jason_iversen - July 23, 2022 23:51:56
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links