MaterialX Heightnormal Artifacts

1666   5   2
37 posts
I have noticed when using the mtlxheightntomal node there is some significant artifacts.

I am able to remove them by subtracting the artifacts but they shouldn't be there in the first place.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be causing this issue.

In the image above you can see the artifacts clearly, bare in mind there is no texture, just a value of 0 as an input

here is the world normals, the result we would expect from a value of 0

and here is the height normals subtracted by the world normals, isolating the artifacts.

I've noticed this issue on multiple meshes.

Best,
Rich
Edited by Hypershader - May 4, 2022 05:48:19

Attachments:
artifact3.png (257.7 KB)
artifact1.png (589.6 KB)
artifact2.png (542.6 KB)

122 posts
Interesting. Have you filed a bug report yet?
I was having some issues with normals with material x nodes maybe I was seeing the same thing as you.
7741 posts
Hypershader
I have noticed when using the mtlxheightntomal node there is some significant artifacts.

I am able to remove them by subtracting the artifacts but they shouldn't be there in the first place.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be causing this issue.

Is this only visible by moving the view position after dicing has occurred, or is it visible right away from the render camera?
37 posts
Doesn’t seem to be affected by dicing at all, seems to occcur from rendercam and at any distance with any dicing setting, restarting the render too also doesn’t cause it to update in viewport which usually fixes dicing artifices so I am clueless to what is causing it
Edited by Hypershader - May 6, 2022 03:17:18
7741 posts
Hypershader
Doesn’t seem to be affected by dicing at all, seems to occcur from rendercam and at any distance with any dicing setting, restarting the render too also doesn’t cause it to update in viewport which usually fixes dicing artifices so I am clueless to what is causing it

Oh, yeah I see them too. It's not dicing related because I didn't enable subdivision and I still saw it. Did you submit a bug?

If you look at the tangents generated for the model, they aren't smooth. The problem probably comes from how the tangents are calculated.
Edited by jsmack - May 6, 2022 13:11:56
Staff
418 posts
Hi. This bug is addressed in the upcoming daily build.
Thank you.
  • Quick Links