Easiest way to add bump texture details to a render?

1099   4   1
6 posts
Hi guys.

I have been playing with Houdini for a few weeks. I would like to know how to add bump or normal detail to a material using a procedural noise.

I tried connecting a Turbulence Noise to Principle Shader (rendering using Karma), but could not accomplish the desired result. Any advice on a easy way to do that?

Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
sussane bump.jpg (126.0 KB)

7737 posts
djluis001
I tried connecting a Turbulence Noise to Principle Shader (rendering using Karma), but could not accomplish the desired result. Any advice on a easy way to do that?

What did you try and what are you after?
8515 posts
you can use Bump Noise VOP and plug dispN into baseN of the Principled Shader

or if you want to use your Turbulent Noise, plug it into value input of Displace VOP set Offset to 0 (you can keep it at Displacement Along Normal or set to Bump) and plug its outN into baseN of Principled Shader
Edited by tamte - May 20, 2022 13:22:54
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
jsmack
What did you try and what are you after?
Hey man.

I tried connecting the output of a Turbulent Noise node into every single input (40+) of the "Bump & Normal" section on a Principle Shader node. I guess that that is not how it is done, lol.

I was just trying to achieve a similar look to the attached image in my original post (the monkey at the right), but without using external image files.

Kind of a simple "bump effect" (basically just the illusion of displacement), to break that perfect CG look on a shader.
6 posts
tamte
you can use Bump Noise VOP and plug dispN into baseN of the Principled Shader
That worked great, man!

Thanks for your help.
  • Quick Links