Pattern generators for shader building.

1546   3   2
3 posts
Hi, I'm looking for options to generate patterns like dots, lines, grid etc to use these in RS shader building similar to C4D node in Cinema 4D. I was hoping to generate some patterns in the COP network which I could import to RS, but I didn't find much there regarding this matter, just noises and obviously a lot of compositing nodes.

I'm sure there are workflows for this kind of stuff and I was hoping maybe some of you could point me out a few options to look for.

I saw a substance node there, so I imagine this is one of the options even though it would require knowledge and extra budget for Substance and I'm not sure I need that much power.

Thanks a lot!
118 posts
I would recommend Copstance Nodes if you want to use Substance type nodes in COPs. [copsubstance.com]
There is a thread about them here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/69233/

The node you would use to generate Dots is Tile.

I hope this helps.
Edited by GlenD - May 31, 2022 09:41:05

Attachments:
Copstance_Tile_01.png (93.3 KB)

94 posts
Pattern generation is manipulation over pixels, so you need a pixel grid (Color node with resolution 512x512px for example) and node for image processing of the pixels (vopcop2filter for existing image planes or vopcop2generator which can generate image plane by itself). Inside VOP node you have power of all shading nodes, that means you can use patterns and noises, shading math etc. In global parameters you will see X, Y inputs, they are your U, V coordinates. If you feel uncomfortable with shading, I'd recommend Ben Cloward's [www.youtube.com] shading tutorials, the stuff he's teaching is software agnostic.
Edited by Faitel - May 31, 2022 15:53:17

Attachments:
Screenshot_33.png (775.3 KB)
COPGenerator.hiplc (166.4 KB)

3 posts
@GlenD - Just after I posted I stumbled on COPstance and this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks anyways

@Faitel - I had a hunch that I'm close but I'm missing something there and copcop2generator it was. Thanks a lot for setting up the example file, much appreciated!
  • Quick Links