the save system

1283   3   1
38 posts
hi all i feel that this is one of the most frustrating thing about Houdini in general the save system.

1. is it possible to have auto save enable by defult (im runnng a script now that dose it )

2.is it possible to make incremental auto save but to a limit that i choose, whtas happening now is if i choose in houdini to make numbered backups it will just save for eternity, i would like to have a number that it will just keep cycle
466 posts
adamalbo
1. is it possible to have auto save enable by defult (im runnng a script now that dose it)
I don't think so:
You must turn on the Auto Save checkbox in the Edit menu to enable auto saving.
Auto-save is automatically disabled when Houdini starts up, because it can slow down
Houdini and take up a lot of disk space if it is left on unintentionally.
You must manually enable it for each session.
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/windows/mainprefs.html [www.sidefx.com]

2.is it possible to make incremental auto save but to a limit that i choose, whtas happening now is if i choose in houdini to make numbered backups it will just save for eternity, i would like to have a number that it will just keep cycle
Use:
HOUDINI_MAX_BACKUP_FILES=n
in houdini.env:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/env.html [www.sidefx.com]
38 posts
wow thank you so much

i had no idea it can be done thou env .

"Once the limit is reached, the file with the oldest numbered suffix in the filename will be deleted"
i just hope it means will be overwritten not just deleted

thanks again
61 posts
I agree, especially coming from blender which has such a seamless and intuitive autosave feature! I don't work at a big VFX company so I don't know much about their saving workflows, but why on earth would autosave be something that you configure per session? It should be a user preference that you turn on and off.

Also, autosave should happen in the background, currently is locks the UI.

Saving and version management defiantly needs some work in Houdini but there are some community created packages that offer a decent substitute. I don't blame Houdini for the occasional crash! Given Houdini is a sandbox environment, it can be easy to lock up your system. But such crashes would be a lot less painful with a better autosave system.
Edited by wyhinton1 - June 22, 2022 17:04:02
  • Quick Links