Flip guided ocean on dramatic curved surface

861   3   1
29 posts
Imagine a large scale ocean surface with a large ship that is being pulled into a curved funnel. During the most curved part of the ocean surface where the ship goes "over the edge" I have created a very warped ocean spectrum (imagine a tsunami sized wave) and turned gravity to be roughly normal to the ships longest axis, so gravity pulls toward the center of the curved surfaces radius.

The ship is currently 1/10th scale about 21 meters long and I have a time scale of 0.75 to help sell the scale. Currently the sim bounds is roughly 24x24x24 and the surface is roughly -24 in Y. I have a large boundary layer of 4 units on each side (so 8 in either axis).

Currently I'm facing a plethora of issues. Near the boundary edges the flip sim pulls away from the guided surface creating a 0.5 meter drop off, which I'm guessing is volume loss which I've tried to compensate with increased reseeding.

I'm also noticing what appears to be the particles "bottoming out" and clipping against the surface volume potentially, when the waves drop dramatically. This is apparent during the meshing process.

I've got a close-to-shelf-default setup but I tried increasing reseeding and increased max-substeps. Any clues from the internet-hive mind to help me with these issues?

I don't have a hip file to show b/c of NDA but I could recreate something if needed.

Thanks
2534 posts
If you haven't set the Grid Scale to 1.0, give that a try, it may improve the overall resolution and limit the drop-off? Surface tension might help with that curved area. You could conduct a test with that option enabled.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
29 posts
I should have mentioned immediately what my particle separation and grid scale was off the bat.
Particle Sep: 0.03 (but I'm having issues +/- 0.02 from 0.03)
Particle Radius Scale: 1.2
Grid Scale: 1

I have will give Surface Tension a shot!
29 posts
Ended up counter-rotating the world to create a level-ish tank, and most of the issues went away! Lesson learned.
  • Quick Links