Universal binary

599   3   0
75 posts
Is there any plans to release a universal binary version of Houdini for macOS which contains both the arm64 and x86 version? Also with a env var to force the x86 version on an Apple silicon Mac?

On a side note, is there a correct way to install the arm64 and x86 builds of the same Houdini build number?

David.
Staff
266 posts
There are no plans. Most of the file size of Houdini is in libraries. Having a universal binary would cause these libraries to contain both architectures, which would result in the install being roughly twice the size and wouldn't have any benefit for the average user.

What do you mean by a "correct way"? There is no automated way if that is what you're looking for. I'll install one, rename the folder in the Applications directory, then install the other.
75 posts
Thanks, I thought this might be the case. If it's as simple as renaming the install folder that totally manageable on our end.
134 posts
+1 for universal binary. I get the size issue, but maybe have separate architecture builds and also a universal one that is hidden kinda like they are now?

Would be so useful for anyone who makes Houdini plug-ins for Mac

Also, something I've been meaning to ask for, adding an option to hcustom to specify the architecture you want to build for or have it be smart enough to know what architecture of Houdini you are building against. I think right now it's just querying the architecture of the system itself?
Matt Puchala
www.mattpuchala.com
  • Quick Links