Dashes in prim paths?

1157   2   1
262 posts
Hi,

I've been developing the next big upgrade in our studio's pipeline to conform with Autodesk's Shotgrid defaults.
The thing is: SG uses underlines as path separators, so using dashes (-) is allowed with some effort.
Therefore, we've changed all our defaults to start using dashes as opposed to camelCase, since in our opinion, improves readability.
We've tested that with alembics and everything was OK, but It was a surprise when we noticed that in solaris the primitive's paths dashes were being replaced by underlines.
I didn't find anything in the USD docs so far, but is that something in the usd definition, or It's just in Solaris?
I've tested saving an alembic and sublayering It, and Solaris does change It too, not just the sop path attribute.
So, I really want to know if I need to change my paths from dashes to underlines at some point or if there is some way to use dashes in the prim paths.
Staff
4438 posts
I also can't find it in the USD docs, but dashes are not valid in USD primitive paths:

>>> from pxr import Sdf
>>> Sdf.Path.IsValidIdentifier('foo-bar')
False
262 posts
mtucker
I also can't find it in the USD docs, but dashes are not valid in USD primitive paths:

>>> from pxr import Sdf
>>> Sdf.Path.IsValidIdentifier('foo-bar')
False

Thanks mtucker!
I'll change the paths to take that into account and avoid future problems.
  • Quick Links