view and edit animation curves from an FBX

1737   4   1
75 posts
anyone know how to modify and edit animation curves on a bone?

in maya I can just click on a bone, and tweak it, but I'm not sure how to do the same thing from houdini
https://www.sidefx.com/community-main-menu/character-workflow-rig-animate-secondary-motion/ [www.sidefx.com] and in the video by Esther Trilsch, I like how you can add a rig on top of existing animation, but it seems that the rigs are additive on top of old animation, how would i be able to view and edit the curve in local bone space, or world space?

Attachments:
animcurve.jpg (163.0 KB)

2535 posts
It's pretty much the same workflow. File/Import/FBX. Dive into the subnet and select a NULL. In Houdini FBX the bones are driven by nulls which contain the animated data.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (596.9 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
75 posts
OHHH, import FBX
is there no built in way from kinefx? or I guess I should just export to fbx then import those alone?
8541 posts
Sirvoxelot
is there no built in way from kinefx?

append Rig Pose SOP, click on Bake... to bake the incoming animation into keyframes on RigPose that you can further tweak
(if you are getting errors maybe prepend Compute Transform SOP, even though theoretically should not be required)

however due the nature of KineFX I don't think there is a direct way to preserve sparse animation curves if FBX contains those, but since your screenshot contains keyframe per frame you should be ok
Edited by tamte - Sept. 8, 2022 22:32:52
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
75 posts
tamte
the incoming animation into keyframes on RigPose that you can further tweak
(if you are getting errors maybe prepend Compute Transform SOP, even though theoretically should not be required)

Ahh thanks Tomas! I thought you were on vacation
but it looks like that worked, maybe I was trying it on too many bones before, but that compute transform SOP also seems useful as maybe I can just look at some of the values there in spreadsheet?. and I think some settings were messing up the bakes, like I have to turn off 'world space' and bake from rest pose. Also it seems the loading of the graph after clicking on a bone is slower than it is in maya at the moment, hopefully sidefx can speed that up!
  • Quick Links