Hide object but leave reflections

2507   3   0
2 posts
Hi all. I'm just getting started in Houdini and this is my first scene and I've been working on it for two months now. Now I've got to the lighting and shadows and I can't solve the problem with the light in my scene. It seems that the solution should be obvious, but I do not understand in which direction I should move.
How to cast shadows and light (from the explosion) into the background? Do I understand correctly that you need to create a surface and create a shader for it? Or is it done in another way?
If this is done with a shader, then how to create a shader in such a way that the object becomes invisible, but casts shadows and reflections?

Attachments:
untitled1.jpg (1.3 MB)

236 posts
If you are using Mantra: Go to the render tab on the fire geometry. On Render Visibility, either type -primary or use the drop down "Invisible to Primary Rays (Phantom)"
If you are using Redshift: Go to Redshift OBJ>Visibility tab on the fire geometry and uncheck "Primary Ray Visible".
If you are using something else: I don't know.
2 posts
robsdesign
If you are using Mantra: Go to the render tab on the fire geometry. On Render Visibility, either type -primary or use the drop down "Invisible to Primary Rays (Phantom)"
If you are using Redshift: Go to Redshift OBJ>Visibility tab on the fire geometry and uncheck "Primary Ray Visible".
If you are using something else: I don't know.
Forgot to mention, I use Mantra.
Perhaps I did not put it correctly, I need the light created by the fire to be moved to the background, but the grid should not be visible.
236 posts
It's been a while since I've used Mantra so I haven't looked at the updated workflows for this. ie. Last time I checked, it was done using Extra Image Planes on the Mantra ROP but after a quick search, I can see the following;

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/lop/backgroundplate.html [www.sidefx.com]
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/gallery/shop/vopmaterial/shadowMatte.html [www.sidefx.com]

Not sure if there is a non-Karma version of the first link but that looks like the more recent workflow.
  • Quick Links