M1 Display Viewport bugs: Wireframe rendering

730   2   1
2 posts
Display Viewport bugs: Wireframe rendering

M1 Max MBP

I rely on wireframe and wireframe Ghost render modes for my work and it's very broken on Mac
(yeaaaaa, apple + OpenGL is a hot topic :p)

anyway, I'm blocked.

• m1 Max Macbook pro
  • Houdini Steam version: 19.5.3
  • any OpenGL render feature for Wireframe display is broken.

Attached Display options wire width set to 1.
Second Image: Wire width set to 1000!!!
(no difference between them)

The issue also exists with the OpenGl render node (wire width SET TO 9000!!)
since this feature doesn't work I get horrible line aliasing because it defaults to only 1 pixel wide wireframes.

The current state it pretty much unusable to my work, I need wireframe width and anti-aliasing settings.

Yeahhhh, I know I do weird stuff with wireframes, but it's way faster for my aesthetic than mantra or Karma.

Please let me know any work-arounds .... or I'm happy to provide more info and submit a proper bug ticket.

Thank you!!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.13.53 PM.png (1.7 MB)
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.17.51 PM.png (1.6 MB)
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.18.41 PM.png (1.8 MB)

Staff
5002 posts
Unfortunately, Apple's implementation of line rasterization in OpenGL doesn't support line widths other than 1.0, so you'd have to use something like the Wireframe SOP to produce thicker lines. Alternatively, you could add a 'width' primitive attribute and turn on Shaded Open Curves on the parent object, which will rasterize the lines as ribbons (width is in world space units).
2 posts
malexander
Alternatively, you could add a 'width' primitive attribute and turn on Shaded Open Curves on the parent object, which will rasterize the lines as ribbons (width is in world space units).

Oooo This looks like a decent work-around... Thanks will try!
  • Quick Links