Engine-Unity plugin - possible permission issue

1460   11   1
3 posts
Hello, folks.

Facing issue with Unity plugin is not able to locate/detect Houdini installation.

Platform : Mac Silicon M1 Max (2021 pro MacBook) - Mac OS 12.6.1
Houdini: 19.5.435
Unity: 2022.2.0b14 & 2021.3.13
Steps on how to reproduce the bug:

1. Install Unity plugin(.unitypackage) via Assets-Import Package - Custom Package...
2. Restart the Unity editor
3. HoudiniEngine menu appears in Unity:
4. Click Installation info:
"Unable to detect Houdini Engine installation" message

Houdini location is default, nothing moved.
It looks like the plugin detects correct path, cause when I try to open .hda file, this error is thrown in console:
>DllNotFoundException /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Libraries/libHAPIL.dylib

And that path is correct, there is a file at that location.
Tried with LTS(2021) version of Unity, same result.
Nothing special in Editor.log

package.json:

{ "name": "com.sidefx.houdiniengineforunity", "version": "19.5.435", "displayName": "Houdini Engine", "unity": "2019.1", "description": "Houdini Engine for Unity is a Unity plug-in that allows deep integration of Houdini technology into Unity through the use of Houdini Engine.", "documentationUrl": "https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/", "dependencies": {}, "author": { "name": "Side FX Software", "email": "support@sidefx.com", "url": "https://www.sidefx.com/" } }
When opening .hda files from plugin package getting "License could not be found" Error.
When trying to manually start Session, getting "Engine libraries not found" Error.
When running SessionSync dialog just hangs without error(in Houdini session started and port is open, accepting connections, tested with telnet).

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 10.41.53 PM.png (177.8 KB)
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 11.37.18 AM.png (253.4 KB)
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 11.36.23 AM.png (1021.4 KB)
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 11.35.29 AM.png (1.4 MB)

6 posts
Having same issue, help required!
3 posts
nichstkanndev
Having same issue, help required!
SideFX responded that they logged a corresponding Unity issue as BUG #125545 in database.|
Lets just wait....

Do they have their issues tracker open?
6 posts
Hey,

Are there any updates regarding this topic above? Are there any estimates? We want to use Houdini Engine in Unity as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Staff
1221 posts
nichstkanndev
Hey,

Are there any updates regarding this topic above? Are there any estimates? We want to use Houdini Engine in Unity as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I saw the question that SerhiiPichkurov submitted to SideFX support. I replied to the question last week through our support tracker but I'm not sure if the reply has been received yet.

In any case, from the info that SerhiiPichkurov submitted to support, it looked like the Intel build of Houdini, and possibly the Unity plugin as well, was installed on M1. If you are running the Apple Silicon build of Unity, then you need to run the Apple Silicon build of Houdini and the Houdini Engine (HE) Unity plugin. Unity will fail to run the Intel build version.

So be sure that you have the Apple Silicon build of Houdini and the HE Unity plugin installed and not the Intel build.

This forum post has instructions on how to download the Apple Silicon build of Houdini:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/83312/ [www.sidefx.com]

For what it's worth, I was able to run the HE Unity plugin in the Apple Silicon build of Unity and play around with Houdini curves in Unity.

Cheers,
Rob
6 posts
Hey rvinluan,

I, unfortunately, am using Houdini Indie via Steam because non of Houdini's payment methods are available in my country. I can not transfer, replace and use my Steam Houdini Indie license with Houdini ecosystems. I don't know if I am using Houdini Indie as an Intel version or Silicon, where can I get that info?
Staff
1221 posts
nichstkanndev
Hey rvinluan,

I, unfortunately, am using Houdini Indie via Steam because non of Houdini's payment methods are available in my country. I can not transfer, replace and use my Steam Houdini Indie license with Houdini ecosystems. I don't know if I am using Houdini Indie as an Intel version or Silicon, where can I get that info?

Ah, that would do it. We currently only have the Intel Mac Houdini build available via Steam. We would need to additionally post the Apple Silicon Mac Houdini build to Steam. I'll have to check with our Steam build developer here to see how that can be done.

In the meantime, I wonder if you could just install the Apple Silicon build of Houdini onto your system and then point the Unity plugin to that build instead of the Houdini Steam build? You're not directly running Houdini and maybe the system is clever enough to use the Steam Houdini Indie license.

Cheers,
Rob
6 posts
rvinluan
nichstkanndev
Hey rvinluan,

Ah, that would do it. We currently only have the Intel Mac Houdini build available via Steam. We would need to additionally post the Apple Silicon Mac Houdini build to Steam. I'll have to check with our Steam build developer here to see how that can be done.

In the meantime, I wonder if you could just install the Apple Silicon build of Houdini onto your system and then point the Unity plugin to that build instead of the Houdini Steam build? You're not directly running Houdini and maybe the system is clever enough to use the Steam Houdini Indie license.

Cheers,
Rob

Hey Rob,

Merry Xmas, I can't run Houdini License Server on my Mac, it is such a pain. I can and will wait for what could be done for Steam Silicon build. This is already annoying but it can't be helped. Thanks!
Staff
1221 posts
nichstkanndev
Hey Rob,

Merry Xmas, I can't run Houdini License Server on my Mac, it is such a pain. I can and will wait for what could be done for Steam Silicon build. This is already annoying but it can't be helped. Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Just an update that we are looking into adding an Apple Silicon build to Steam. I'll let you know when there is something ready to test.

Cheers,
Rob
175 posts
Rob, please let everyone else know as well, not just nichstkanndev hehe
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
Staff
1221 posts
osong

Yup, will do! We're still working on the build. We ran into a couple of snags with Steam on macOS arm64 that we are trying to resolve.

Cheers,
Rob
6 posts
rvinluan
osong

Yup, will do! We're still working on the build. We ran into a couple of snags with Steam on macOS arm64 that we are trying to resolve.

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks, Rob,

Although, I am already switched back to Windows from Apple's annoying constraints that do not properly let me work on anything.

Great to hear that you are working on a port and looking forward to seeing what's next!

https://twitter.com/nichstkann [twitter.com]

Cheers,
  • Quick Links