What about usd assets market?

1431   3   1
138 posts
Just like unreal market place,why wouldn't sidefx build an usd assets market?What do you guys think?

PS.Not just usd assets,Sidefx should redesign the content library and the outdated orbolt store,combine them,just copy gumroad and unreal market,it should be a good deal for sidefx&developers&custmers.
Edited by wanglifu - Dec. 16, 2022 00:47:07
248 posts
what's the point? there are millions of assets out there, all you gotta do is import them to LOPs. idea is dead on arrival
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
8535 posts
osong
what's the point? there are millions of assets out there, all you gotta do is import them to LOPs. idea is dead on arrival

the point is to have them in .usd format primarily compatible with Houdini
there will be for sure lot of usd schemas that just Houdini can use like already all the kma_* materials, so having an asset store with such assets will be always beneficial

it's the same as Omniverse or Unreal have their own asset store, you simply need to store data beyond just the model itself that is ready to be used, so I definitely see a point
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
122 posts
Honestly, an asset store/collection focused on USD files would be great. Downloading USD assets from current sites, which are usually auto-converted, have often very annoying scene graph trees and don't use any of the USD features like proxy geo or variants.
Sure, nothing is stopping people from uploading clean usd files but a service that requires it would be nice.
I hope we'll see some Orbolt updates in the future that make it easier to use for Houdini and maybe a USD asset store could be integrated as well. Quick publishing directly from inside Houdini. Then open it up to other applications (or simply provide a web version for downloading the usd files as Orbolt does already).
Or start something new but I don't see why Orbolt can't be repurposed.
  • Quick Links