Ptex workflow (Mudbox-Houdini)

12077   9   4
7 posts

Hi!

I was trying to render Ptex files in houdini and I thought that I should write a small tutorial about my experiences. I'm still a beginner in Houdini but I hope you will find my tutorial helpful.

Here is the article [3dsurvival.hu]
スタッフ
2540 posts
Very well done. This will help quite a few artists.

Thank-you.
There's at least one school like the old school!
257 posts
The last time i heard about ptex… it's said it's not fully integrated into Houdini yet. Instead people are saving colour, spec, displacement maps etc as .tiff format (3D-coat). Thanks for sharing! /thumbs up

eitht.
14 posts
So what are the limitations?
41 posts
The problem I have with this workflow is that using reverse node flips the normals and with those normals flipped the sss doesn' t work anymore.

Any workaround ?
41 posts
After a bit of playing with this I found a way to get it to work without using a reverse node. I just swapped the U and V in the shader, connecting U to Ptex V and V to Ptex U.

Now I get correct Ptex and subsurface :wink:
15 posts
it looks like you were generating your initial mesh in mudbox and then importing that into houdini and setting up ptex textures, I was curious if you ran across the problem of the obj export out of houdini crashing at all?
I am using mari 1.3v2 and after modelling in houdini as a subd mesh then exporting an obj, mari crashes everytime. I logged a bug with the foundry about it but it looks like it could possibly be a problem on the houdini end and how it orders the vertices when exporting the obj?
A thread I looked at which was hinting at there being an obj problem here: http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/11538-houdini-11-and-ptex/page__st__12 [forums.odforce.net]

I end up having to open the mesh in another 3d package and re-exporting to obj and it works fine.
349 posts
Much appriciated. Nice clear and concise, this will come in very handy.

Thank you.
36 posts
wow~~~just need this ,,very useful indeed
7 posts
Hey,
Was wondering if you could re-post that link about the workflow from MudBox to Houdini using Ptex textures.

Thanks a bunch
  • Quick Links