Max Bound from a box sop

2728   6   0
2624 posts
Hi All,
Grey matter failure, does anyone happen to know the simple trick to to get the maximum bound that a box sop will generate when taking the input of an object over a frame range. Its one of things I have forgotten how to. I do have a chops solution but is slow and cumbersome to implement , I seem to remember it used a trail sop …

Rob
Gone fishing
4508 posts
Hi,

Do you mean for the local bb? Not sure if you need it with a box with 4 polygons or a box with any number of divisions, but you can use one of the corners to construct a matrix and then transform it back using the difference.

This Box SOP stores the localmin/max in local coordinates as a detail attribute:
http://www.orbolt.com/asset/animatrix::box::1.00 [orbolt.com]

I submitted an RFE to have this info available as detail attributes for generator SOPs that take an input, so we wouldn't have to recalculate what was already calculated.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
2624 posts
Hi,
Thats not it, its far more simple inputting animated geometry ie character waving hands around into the box sop will automatically calculated the bound as you scrub the timeline. what I am trying to get is grab the point along the time line where the box acting as the bound will be at its maximum and freeze it in sops. Currently I can use chops to find this out but its so slow even on one point.

Rob
Gone fishing
4508 posts
Right on, I thought you want the maximum point in the box. I am interested in a solution too then (:
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

2624 posts
I just wish my brain wasn't like a sieve. its been a few months off Houdini in Maya > it was hell !

Rob
Edited by - 2012年12月19日 21:46:37
Gone fishing
2624 posts
Solved …. saves using chops, this technique is so useful for a whole host of stuff

Rob

Attachments:
rse_bound_trailsop.hip (96.2 KB)

Gone fishing
4508 posts
Thanks for sharing it.

• Quick Links