Error Message With Certain Sample Files

6447   5   0
22 posts
The following error message occurs when I try to open some of the sample files from the learn CD that I downloaded:

file.hip load failed:
Error: Bad type found: omantra
Unknown operator found on load “fast_mantra.def”
Unknown operator found on load “fast_mantra.parm”
Bad type found: omantra

“file.hip” is the name of the given file tha I try to open. This message usually repeats 3 times as above, but on a couple of files, it only shows up in one iteration. This doesn't seem to be specific to the kind of demonstration file, ie. some of the particle files will open, some won't, but it does happen with about 1/3 of the included sample files including all of the files in the highlights folder. I've also found that the fast mantra render is buggy with some of my own files, it will sometimes freeze; not sure if the two are related. I'm running the aprentice version 5.5.36 on win2K. over a gig of memory and Nividia Quad900xgl graphics card. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
PS: The “demo” folder didn't come with the version I installed, anybody know where I can get it?
スタッフ
3455 posts
do you mean 5.5.136 ?
the current release is 5.5.230 from SESI….you may want to give that one a shot…try http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/ [vislab.usyd.edu.au] for the .208 build

AFAIK the errors you are getting are nothing to worry about…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
7024 posts
Hi,
Those errors are just the result of loading an old file into a newer version of Houdini, some of the example files are from 4.0 and haven't been updated. They still work fine for the most part (except anything using Materials or TOPs) and you can safely ignore those messages.

Cheers,

PEter B
1631 posts
Hi there,

johnnyreno
The following error message occurs when I try to open some of the sample files from the learn CD that I downloaded:

file.hip load failed:
Error: Bad type found: omantra

Like arctor said, the above errors can be ignored.

“file.hip” is the name of the given file tha I try to open. This message usually repeats 3 times as above, but on a couple of files, it only shows up in one iteration. This doesn't seem to be specific to the kind of demonstration file, ie. some of the particle files will open, some won't, but it does happen with about 1/3 of the included sample files including all of the files in the highlights folder.

When you say sample files, are they extracted from a .tar.gz file? If they are, may I know what software did you use to extract them? If you used Winzip, then the extracted files will not work properly. Please use WinRAR to extract .tar.gz files or download the .zip archive file instead.

I just opened a hip file from the learningData/sample_files/highlights directory successfully. Are they all not working for you?

Please also let me know which are the other files you can't open.

I've also found that the fast mantra render is buggy with some of my own files, it will sometimes freeze; not sure if the two are related. I'm running the aprentice version 5.5.36 on win2K. over a gig of memory and Nividia Quad900xgl graphics card. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Can you be more specific with regards to mantra renders? For example, what are you trying to render? Does it always happen with the same type of setup/geometry? I don't see how your configuration will affect mantra.

Thanks!
PS: The “demo” folder didn't come with the version I installed, anybody know where I can get it?
The “demo” folder is not included due to reasons here [sidefx.com].

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
22 posts
Thanks for your replies I'm going to download the update and see what that does. FIY, when I check the version from houdini, it says 5.5.36 not 5.5.136.

Steven,

I downloaded all of the sample files from the Sydney VisLab site a few day ago. All of the files open but the following files open with the error message I stated above:

in the archive folder - attractorring.hip, capture.hip, coils.hip, fireworks.hip, follow.hip, meteor.hip, multi_axis_orbiting.hip, particlecreepa.hip, prisimlookatcam.hip, selfsplit.hip, sparks_stream.hip, split_and_stick.hip, sweepmrbear.hip, vortex.hip, wind.hip, wireframe.hip.

in the highlights folder - autofence.hip, bees_attack.hip, butterfly.hip, crowd_demo_final.hip, explodeallinputs.hip, icebreak.hip.

I can click “continue” and the error message goes away, but I haven't really experimentd with the files yet.

As far as the mantra issue, I've only done the tutorials and used the fast mantra when directed . I would estimate that it freezes about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Usually the interface will open and the window will stay black or a small region will render, and then nothing else. Task manager says the application is running, but I need to kill it manually to get anything to happen. After a restart, that same frame will render with no issues.

Thanks again for your help…
1631 posts
Hi,

johnnyreno
I downloaded all of the sample files from the Sydney VisLab site a few day ago. All of the files open but the following files open with the error message I stated above:

in the archive folder - attractorring.hip, capture.hip, coils.hip, fireworks.hip, follow.hip, meteor.hip, multi_axis_orbiting.hip, particlecreepa.hip, prisimlookatcam.hip, selfsplit.hip, sparks_stream.hip, split_and_stick.hip, sweepmrbear.hip, vortex.hip, wind.hip, wireframe.hip.

in the highlights folder - autofence.hip, bees_attack.hip, butterfly.hip, crowd_demo_final.hip, explodeallinputs.hip, icebreak.hip.

I can click “continue” and the error message goes away, but I haven't really experimentd with the files yet.
I downloaded the attractorring.hip from the Sydney Vislab server & opened it successfully. Please ignore the error messages & then continue exploring the files. You should find them okay.

As far as the mantra issue, I've only done the tutorials and used the fast mantra when directed . I would estimate that it freezes about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Usually the interface will open and the window will stay black or a small region will render, and then nothing else. Task manager says the application is running, but I need to kill it manually to get anything to happen. After a restart, that same frame will render with no issues.
I think the Mplay window is not updating hence you think mantra is freezing on you. You can resize the window which will make Mplay update.

Thanks again for your help…
You're welcome!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links