License errors please help

14993   9   2
9 posts
I am unable to run Houdini Master due to a “License error: Unable to connect to hserver for license acquisition” problem. I was originally having problems when I first installed Houdini on this computer since I could not get a license the normal way. The other computer I installed it on did not have this problem. Houdini did not connect to the server and ask me if I wanted to install a non-commercial license. I went to http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php [license.sidefx.com] and got the license and entered it into the License Administrator but I still cannot run Houdini. I also started and stopped both services and restarted the computer to no avail. I noticed within the Diagnostic Output (included below) that the Local/Server IP Address is 127.0.0.1.

Would this be affected if I am on a network and therefore have a valid IP leased from our DHCP server?

Should I switch my license server from Standalone Mode to Network Mode?

If there is something that I am not seeing please point it out to me.

Services: The Houdini License Server is running but the Houdini License Client is not.

Output of hserver -l returns

“No server found at localhost:1714”.

If I start the License Client it give me the following error and then terminates the service:

“Error reading status from server
UT_NetPacket::write: Invalid argument”.

Diagnostic Output:
==================
If you are having licensing problems, please save this information and email it
to support@sidefx.com.

License Administrator output:
=============================
Generated on: Mon Jan 27 13:34:04 2003
Local host name: HPC1_05
Local server code: eaae45f5
Local ip address: 127.0.0.1
License server name: hpc1_05
License server server code: eaae45f5
Server ip address: 127.0.0.1
License server is running: Yes
Has SERVER license: Yes
License server version: 5.5.208
May modify server from this machine: Yes
License Administrator version: 5.5.208
Http proxy host: (none)
Using standalone mode: Yes
Can retrieve http://license.sidefx.com/index.php: [license.sidefx.com] Yes

Installed licenses:
LicID Platform Product Ver Avail Expiry
—– ——– ——- — —– ——
85391732 Generic Houdini-Master-NonCommercial 5.5 1/1 26-feb-2003
+.+.+.+
90c6a52a Generic Render-NonCommercial 5.5 1/1 26-feb-2003
+.+.+.+

sesictrl -i output:
===================
—– SERVER hpc1_05 ——–
Lic 85391732: 1 “Houdini-Master-NonCommercial 5.5” Generic 26-feb-2003 +.+.+.+
1 licenses free

Lic 90c6a52a: 1 “Render-NonCommercial 5.5” Generic 26-feb-2003 +.+.+.+
1 licenses free

hserver -l output:
==================

licenses file:
==============
## Side Effects Software License File
#
# For license information, please contact:
# Side Effects Software Inc.
# 477 Richmond St. West, Suite 1001
# Toronto, Ontario, Canada
# M5V 3E7
# licensemanager@sidefx.com
# http://www.sidefx.com [sidefx.com]
#
# NOTE: This file may be modified by the licensee
#

# Key installed 13:22:17 01/27/03
SERVER hpc1_05 eaae45f5 bd3893436b0b62585ea150c2a333a39ce12f2f5e161b51

# Key installed 13:22:19 01/27/03
LICENSE Generic Houdini-Master-NonCommercial 5.5 1 26-feb-2003 +.+.+.+ \
hpc1_05 85391732 d39a87e1f67c5e3fbfd3081814a5ab6b0c2e940cd016b

# Key installed 13:22:21 01/27/03
LICENSE Generic Render-NonCommercial 5.5 1 26-feb-2003 +.+.+.+ hpc1_05 \
90c6a52a e23af9aefaf955cc747844e5260aaa0e8a944d1896ac6
1631 posts
Hi there,

Would this be affected if I am on a network and therefore have a valid IP leased from our DHCP server?
No, the above shouldn't affect anything.

Should I switch my license server from Standalone Mode to Network Mode?
No, you should leave it as “Standalone Mode”.

Everything looks fine except you can't get hserver to run. I don't remember seeing the “UT_NetPacket” error before.

May I know what OS are you using? If you're using WinNT/2000/XP, please make sure you have the latest service pack installed.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
9 posts
Steven,

Thank you for the reply. I am running windows 2000 professional service pack 3. I believe I am running under a compatable system with Houdini, any more ideas as to why I can't get this to work?

Ben
1631 posts
Hi Ben,

I would like to suggest running the license server in Network Mode however, as long as hserver doesn't run, you won't be able to run Houdini.

May I suggest un-installing Houdini & install a newer version? You can download the new version, 5.5.230, from the DLS or one of the mirrors.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Cheers!
steven
9 posts
thank you for the reply.

i have installed the new build 230 with no results same problem. I keep choosing to install Houdini in standalone mode, I thought that would be the best. However, I am connected into a network or ethernet at school here at the Renissance Center in Tennessee, and one of the networked rooms handles the install in standalone mode just fine, but the other room which is on the same network but my have different network settings will not connect to the license server at all.

Should I install Houdini as the other option what was it, license server mode, and use the computer I install the License Server on to serve all the other computers in the room. Not that I would know how to set that up but if it will atleast get Houdini running on these faster machines I am all for it.

BTW did you see my other post concerning this problem I am having. It details the exact error that I get and some of the things I have tried to fix the problem. If you have or do read the post, I don't want to resubmit it here do to its length, do you recognize the problems I am having and do you see any solutions, please I need help with this.

Thank you in advance

Benjamin
7709 posts
Are you logged in as the Administrator when you're installing Houdini?
7709 posts
Apprentice licenses are node-locked you can't have a single license server machine.

As for whether to use standalone mode. Well, if one doesn't work, try the other.
16 posts
Hello having a similiar problem

I downloaded the Aprentice Version.. 4 days ago. Worked fine till today. now it Houdini Simply will not open. It goes througth the checking for server but doesn't find one. Then the installer asks me to install the licence server again.. that is successful, then the installer checks for the lic over the net again unsucessful… and then back it starts over again.
I have uninstalled houdini and restated. Now I will try to reset my modem.. Ugg..

Any suggestions? Im very sad at this happening in my training.

Thanks

aurafx@aol.com
TAP TAP Umm is this thing on?
9 posts
Edward

Yes I have been using Administrator to log in before I install Houdini, is that good or bad.

Ben
7709 posts
It is good that you are logged in as the Administrator.
  • Quick Links