H14 Mac GPU Requirements

22755   51   1
スタッフ
5154 posts
We have an account with Apple that we use to report issues, so there's no need to submit bugs to them on our behalf (thanks, though).

That's unfortunate that it wasn't fixed, as Apple acknowledged it was a problem a couple of months ago.
3 posts
Hi - excuse me jumping in on this post - but it seem relevant - I'm happy to move to a new post if this breaks etiquette.

I'm looking to buy a laptop for my young son who has an interest in Computer Animation and I would like a one that works with Houdini 14 Non-Comm. I can see there is a 2GB Vram requirement and I see laptops (refurbished) which have GPUs which match the compatability list but I can't tell if they have 2GB as process manufacturers lists defer to card/laptop manufacturers.

I see man recent laptops with Intel HD 4000 or 4400 (I5 or I7 4th gen); will these work? or is this only the Desktop versions?

I'm not looking for top performance - but I am looking for something (Windows or Linux) that will work. I have two macs which are not up to Houdini requirements. I have Linux experience (2001-07) and I now that hardware compatibility issues have improved.

But I would like to buy a £300-£350 refurbished laptop in the summer; please can anyone advise on the Intel HD GPUs for laptops? will they work? or do I need a better gaming/CAD laptop?

Thanks in advance :?
3 posts
Additional confusion.

I find cheap PCs on eBay with Nvidia Quadro FX 580 - Which is on the H14 Compatibility list - but this only has 512mb; I must be missing something…
:?

I would also like to understand if ATI Hyper Memory is ok? If a card is a XFX ATI HD5450 1GB GDDR3 Gaming Graphics Card but is 2GB with Hyper-Memory - is that OK or is the 2GB native only?

Thanks again
9 posts
Asked for my system profile output.

Ill see where it goes from there.
152 posts
Just a quick check-in:
Most recent OS X update
Daily Build 14.0.331 ~ Selection bug still exists
Production Build 14.0.335 ~ Selection bug still exists
Daily Build 14.0.349 ~ Selection bug still exists
Edited by - 2015年6月1日 12:34:54
27 posts
interesting article about apple's opencl support
http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/05/open-source-3d-devs-criticise-apples-opencl-support/ [cgchannel.com]
Doolittle: Don't give me any of that intelligent life crap, just give me something I can blow up
14 posts
Out of desperation, has anybody had any luck dual-booting their Mac into Linux and finding more stability there?

Is this a hardware or software issue?
379 posts
In Linux you will have better performances than on Mac. Well at least I had it on my MBP with NVIDIA card.
4189 posts
Looks like Apple has just enough profit this quarter* to afford to pay the salaries of the graphics engineers for the OsX 10.11.2 beta:

'Apple's release notes, focus areas for the beta include Graphics,…'
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/27/first-os-x-10-11-2-el-capitan-beta/ [macrumors.com]

*net profit of $8.5 billion
678 posts
MartybNz
'Apple's release notes, focus areas for the beta include Graphics,…'

They had to start implement METAL in OSX finally
99 posts
Inverted normals on Intel was apparently fixed in 10.11
スタッフ
5154 posts
cgbeige
Inverted normals on Intel was apparently fixed in 10.11

If you're running at 15.0, we added a GLSL workaround for that bug. The gl_FrontFacing builtin variable often wasn't correctly set on Intel:OSX.
  • Quick Links