Color/noise stay on fixed place on anim. geo

5077   5   0
184 posts
Hey everyone,

I would like to know how I can make noise stay on animated geometry. At the moment the noise color just floats through the geo. Not at render time…In the case I add color/noise via an attribute vop.

Is there an easy way?
53 posts
If you are using the point positions to drive your noise, and you're animating or deforming the points at geometry level your object will appear to float through the noise. The solution is to use a Rest SOP, which creates a vector rest attribute with the old point positions, you then use this attribute to drive the noise. The rest position vop can be used to retrieve this is vops.

Another alternative is to set uvs on your object and use the uvs rather than position to drive noise.
Peter Quint
184 posts
Thank you,

I tried to fix some points in uv space but didn't know that I can generate noise based on uvs too
184 posts
Unfortunately there is no rest sop inside of the attribute vop available. When I try to generate noise based on uv coordinates the head still keeps floating through it.
53 posts
This might help solve the problem

http://vimeo.com/8011128 [vimeo.com]
Peter Quint
184 posts
thank you.

It mainly seemed to be a problem of the alembic file. Actually with other objects I didnt had to use a rest node. just plugging noise into color and it stays. maby since H15.
  • Quick Links