Features to speed up modeling

3532   8   3
2 posts
Recently I saw one promo of modo. As I know now modo has some really cool features like pattern selection and translating, rotating, scaling each component at their own local space. I think they give more flexibility and power when it comes to modeling. How do you think? Would be great if houdini had these features.
237 posts
Thats on reason why a lot of Artists use a second package. Maya is here the first choice.
9 posts
Follyx
Thats on reason why a lot of Artists use a second package. Maya is here the first choice.

For Artists having two or more packages may be ok. But for indie game developer one package must do everything. Yes, I think Maya has almost everything. But only if you own full package. And it doesn't have Maya Engine
Houdini is attracting developers because of its procedural nature and Houdini Engine. Feels like home. Why it must be limited to VFX only?! Can't it be great modeler too?!
9 posts
RoboBender
Recently I saw one promo of modo. As I know now modo has some really cool features like pattern selection and translating, rotating, scaling each component at their own local space. I think they give more flexibility and power when it comes to modeling. How do you think? Would be great if houdini had these features.

+1000
379 posts
Shohruh
Follyx

For Artists having two or more packages may be ok. But for indie game developer one package must do everything. Yes, I think Maya has almost everything. But only if you own full package. And it doesn't have Maya Engine
Houdini is attracting developers because of its procedural nature and Houdini Engine. Feels like home. Why it must be limited to VFX only?! Can't it be great modeler too?!

Because it takes time and resources. It is not that you come here, post wish and tomorrow it has been granted.. How old are you ppl? It is in process and sometime it takes few releases to do it. Especially in app like Houdini which is dominantly oriented towards VfX. Why MODO does not have such powerfull vfx tools like Houdini?
9 posts
SreckoM
Because it takes time and resources. It is not that you come here, post wish and tomorrow it has been granted.. How old are you ppl? It is in process and sometime it takes few releases to do it. Especially in app like Houdini which is dominantly oriented towards VfX. Why MODO does not have such powerfull vfx tools like Houdini?

Wow!
I just wanted to say that there will be no need for second package in the future. That Houdini will also be great in modeling. Sorry if I cuoldn't explain myself clearly. English is not my native language. My bad.
71 posts
Houdini has great procedural modelling tools.

I havent experimented greatly with the new stuff, but the laser selections is great from making customs groups… and i like the snapping when it comes to making things like curves.

But for Raw polygonal modelling, i use Silo (dirty cheap under $100) or Wings3d (free), that combined with Houdini and Zbrush there is nothing out of the realm of possibilities.

The way SESI is making modelling more accessible is great because they are doing it in a way that doesnt turn its back on the foundation of Houdini which is proceduralism.

That said, they know where exactly things can be destructive in terms of workfllows…ie the edit sop.

Personally im still waiting to edit the direction of vectors with he edit sop (grab a point and with a rotate manipulator be able to point it anyway you want), you can do is with the comb sop but it lacks precision (yes it has been RFE'd some time ago).
Senior Groom TD @ Industrial Light & Magic - abvfx [abvfx.me]
1391 posts
Of course you can rotate , scale each component of model such as primitives (face) along it's own axis very well in the Houdini too , Just click any primitive and press ENTER for adding Edit node automatically , then you can use component mode for local axis. (see attached pic)

————————–

In other case I believe that Modo is so powerful in standard modeling (not Procedural) , it has so powerful tools and features for modeling such as Mesh Fusion.
Of course you can make some of these tools in the Houdini Procedurally , But it's a little hard for modeling artists.
in my opinion , Modo is best for polygon and subdivision modeling.Just check it's features for these purpose in internet.

But most important question is what do you do exactly ?

1. if you wanna do modeling for environments and hards surfaces (and cars , airplane and etc) , Modo is good choice for you.

2. If you wanna use Sculpting method for modeling a character , so MudBox and Z-Brush is a good choice for you.

3. But if you wanna make a Procedural Modeling for games , VFX and Motion Graphics , So Houdini is best choice for you.

Finally if you are a modeling Artist , use Modo , Maya , Z-Brush and etc.
If you are a technical guy and wanna make some useful tools for your team , use Houdini.

Attachments:
JKLocalAxis.jpg (208.1 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1265 posts
The problem is to translate, rotate and scale multiple selections or components at the same time on their local space. I submitted a RFE for this some time ago.

More info on this here

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=42294 [sidefx.com]
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
  • Quick Links