houdini and latest MacBookPro

4708   7   2
13 posts
hello houdini brain,
I'm considering changing over to the dark side and buy a MacBookPro.
sideFx states they won't support the ‘cheaper’ Intel Graphics Chips on Mac and I couldn't find the AMD Radeon R9 M370X on the list of supported GPUs either - so I was wondering if any of you has some experience - be it good or bad.
any insight is much appreciated - many thanks!
J
175 posts
I am using it on imac with M395X without any issues so far. Having said that I must also add I am not a heavy user yet.
13 posts
tinyparticle
I am using it on imac with M395X without any issues so far. Having said that I must also add I am not a heavy user yet.

hey thanks for your swift response. ‘spose I’m questioning the ‘pro’ aspect of the new macBooks in general. I'm a professional nuke user and have yet to hear anything good about them.. just keen on the hardware - not fuzzed about the (any)OS. ..so please keep chiming in
cheers!
スタッフ
5156 posts
We had to remove support for Intel GPUs on OSX due to several driver issues that we could not workaround. We did not want to give people the impression that they worked, when they in fact had some pretty serious problems with Houdini.
379 posts
I had MBP with 750 Nvidia, and was not super happy about how Houdini worked with it. As soon as I get into larger scenes. Same setup with Linux worked much better. Things changed with H15, but had lot crashes. So I decided to sell it and purchased Asus ROG, works great so far. I do miss OS though.
13 posts
thanks everyone - looks like I'd be better off spending the extra dosh in a bar
cheers
22 posts
SreckoM
… So I decided to sell it and purchased Asus ROG, works great so far. I do miss OS though.

This is what I bought this last summer as well and have enjoyed fairly spirited performance and stability. I missed by one month their move from the 860M GTX to 960M GTX for my model, dangit. Also, at the time, Apple didn't sell any MBP with anything but non-GTX level gaming cards but with the same i7 at 2.5x the pricetag.

Rendering on all-cores it's about half the speed of the 5820K at work. But it's still fast enough to be able to effectively scrub a VOP network or Wrangle applying and modifying attributes to 10-15M particles.

I much prefer OSX from a quality of life standpoint outside of Houdini. For when I have to use Windows I've got Cygwin.
379 posts
Me too, definetly miss OSX. I have ROG with GTX980M, crazy fast.
  • Quick Links