Save a dual monitor setup

5405   9   1
112 posts
Is there a way to save a dual monitor setup so I don't have to create it each time I start Houdini?
260 posts
windows - desktop - save current desktop?
1265 posts
You can even make that the default build on startup under preferences.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
112 posts
Hi, you say it can make a default setup which I have done, but it doesn't understand dual monitors which is why I asked the question here.
Surely by now there is a dual monitor capacity to save a setup so you don't have to build the panels each time you start.

You will have to explain the first reply as that seems to refer to the standard windows dual setup, not the Houdini dual monitor not been able to save the panel setup.
スタッフ
4159 posts
(Caveat: I use dual monitors at work, under Linux)

I created the Floating window, moved it over to my second display, and did as martinkindl83 indicated, Windows > Desktops > Save Current Desktop As…. With a dual monitor desktop, the ‘primary’ window (the one with the playbar, menus, shelf, etc…) always appears on the display that has my mouse. The second window always ends up on my secondary display. Thus, if my mouse is on the primary display when Houdini launches, everything is fine; but if my mouse is on the second display, both windows appear on the second monitor.

I believe this behavior has to do with the Window Manager, and isn't something Houdini can control; I remember reading that somewhere. I'm not sure how that would apply under Windows or Mac, but those are my experiences under Linux

Hope it helps!
I'm o.d.d.
260 posts
same as goldleaf, i do use dual monitor setup, main window starts always on my primary monitor, floating window on second monitor.
running W7

BTW you dont want to have secondary floating windows maximized, just manually make it to fit the whole screen.
スタッフ
35 posts
Heh, i was wondering same for a long time and had to make a new pane every time i started houdini, even though I had saved and set it up to use my saved desktop layout for dual displays on startup. It would appear in taskbar, 2 windows for my houdini session but i could never actually click on+access that secondary pane, which was super annoying

Then one day i saw my cursor change when i went to the edge of my screen and …i clicked and dragged (out) and LO-AND-BEHOLD MY SECONDARY PANE!!!! it was there all this time, was just existing outside of the boundary display. * sigh *

I use W10 btw.
-fianna
147 posts
Ran into this as well.. again.

Running 15.5.565, but my custom desktop doesn't stick.
I have two floating panels on the 2nd monitor, nicely layed out.

But every time I start Houdini, the two extra panels are moved back to monitor 1, and become small floating windows again.
This has been happening since H14, and is rather annoying ;-)

I know it just takes a couple of seconds to place the floating panels back into place, but it would be nice if they would behave :-)

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
4500 posts
RobW
Ran into this as well.. again.

Running 15.5.565, but my custom desktop doesn't stick.
I have two floating panels on the 2nd monitor, nicely layed out.

But every time I start Houdini, the two extra panels are moved back to monitor 1, and become small floating windows again.
This has been happening since H14, and is rather annoying ;-)

I know it just takes a couple of seconds to place the floating panels back into place, but it would be nice if they would behave :-)

rob

This is a bug from H12 I think. Saved as SESI #5678, not logged into bug db. It would be nice if this bug was squashed in H16.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
147 posts
I don't really understand what you're trying to tell us. Use the keyboard to snap windows back into place?
What abut just fixing this?
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
  • Quick Links