Foam Memory

2417   5   0
23 posts
hello guys !!

Can someone please tell me how to reduce memory of generated foam.. Recently I'am trying to create basic beach waves and after simulation I noticed that my base sim(water sim) is low in size as compared to Foam simulation. For example my water simulation of 200 frame is approximately 350 GB and that of Foam is 470 GB.I mean is these right or not…?

It seems totally illogical to me . Please someone tell me how to reduce its size..

Looking for help
280 posts
thats totally depend on your need how much detail you want…
if your working on blockbuster movie i bet that hd space is too cheap your director will go “not enough detail”
you can however be more smart about it and only cache the attribute u actually used for foam for example i think all you really need is “v”, so delete the rest of the unused attribute.
also when you are simming only use option that u know u will use.
best regards
Patar
23 posts
Thanks a lot Patar!! Can you tell me how to delete rest of the Attributes excluding pscale and v..?

and also what is the reason behind it like foam is lot more heavier than actual water simulation??
280 posts
“attribute delete” node. it does work with “*” for all attribute on the selected class. also “^” for all but a specific attribute.
actually foam is lighter coz foam does not count interparticle collision (also in flip, coz in flip interparticle collision is solved trough the volume grid using project non divergent nodes)
foam seems heavier coz has lots number of particles …. if you dont like this adjust accordingly your “whitewatersource” node. also number of particles that being born in the foam solver (“whitewater emitter” node and “whitewater solver” node.also in the fluid now it seems has even smaller cache due to the compress fluid(its not applicable to flip coz foam is actually only pop or pure particle simulation no volume in it).
read up on the docs on the settings.

best regards
Patar
280 posts
if you like you can post your scene here and ill tell you how to fix it.the one from the shelf tools is often unoptimize coz its for general use. sometime there r nodes that u dont need. or attribute that u wont use… the shelf tools is for the general user.
23 posts
That's really really helpful patar and sure I'll try your ways and if possible I'll definitely upload my .hip file.
  • Quick Links