Houdini 16

130610   223   14
471 posts
Are you sure it is Houdini 16?
When I was seeing preview, I thought it should be Houdini 19 or 20.
The amazing SESI with the amazing software.
603 posts
arctor
ambient-whisper
I also hope for houdini indie that redshift will be supported. I dont know if it is yet, but the second I hear that it is, I'm buying indie.
it's in Alpha right now.
not sure how you can get access to it…but there are already some tutorials on how to use it:
https://vimeo.com/178602203 [vimeo.com]

Redshift works with Houdini Indie 15.5 (thanks to SESI for allowing Indie 3rd Party Rendering).

Redshift Dev Team has reported that Houdini 16 is already supported (from a HDK perspective, meaning they have successfully compiled against the H16 HDK) and they are on schedule to have a Redshift plugin version available for the Houdini 16 launch.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
41 posts
malbrecht
Pixel8d
Just out of curiosity…what would make Redshift better than say Thea Render or Octane?

Let's see … there would be:
- speed
- performance
- lack of lag
- faster results
- quicker invoicing thanks to the above
- less waiting
- more time for important things in life

Oh, and it's faster, too, gives more performance and … speed.

^
Oh, so you've tried them all out then and came to that comparative conclusion? Cool, good to know!
Edited by Pixel8d - 2017年2月4日 11:12:09
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
603 posts
Pixel8d
^
Oh, so you've tried them all out then and came to that comparative conclusion? Cool, good to know!

What do you mean “tried them all out”?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
41 posts
^
It was in response to Malbrecht's reply to my original query. Trying various renders with Houdini.
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
603 posts
Pixel8d
^
It was in response to Malbrecht's reply to my original query. Trying various renders with Houdini.

Yes, there is a fully functional watermarked demo of Redshift 3D available for download. You can give it a spin, and also post any questions/concerns to the Redshift 3D forums at www.redshift3d.com
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
15 posts
Blew my mind! You guys have been hard at work The Hair and Grooming, Rigging and Organic tissue examples are SICK!

Looks to be a monumental release. Hope I can catch the Live Stream.

Thank you.
156 posts
This might be a silly question but, where exactly do we “tune in” for the live stream of the H16 Launch on February 6th?

The “Register Here” button seems only for tickets to physically attend the event at Rich Mix.

Cheers.
Floyd Gillis
417 posts
There is a youtube channel
5 posts
Firstly, really excited for Houdini 16. This is easily one of the biggest upgrades I've ever seen. Congratulations to the entire team at sidefx.

Jumping into the render engine comparison.

Hi pixel8d,

Having tried redshift and octane both and I've been making tutorials for both, I'll agree with most of the points that Daryl made.

Redshift
Pros-
Faster than octane by at least 20-30 percent in most cases. For interiors can be twice the speed of octane.
No geometry limitation. You can exceed the GPU RAM. Great for very heavy scenes.
Better material system. Production ready shaders like car paint, hair and skin
Rendertime displacement using procedural maps. Octane can only use bitmaps.
Huge point in its favour, supports Houdini attributes.

Cons-
IPR is nice but has lag in comparison to octane.
No native point rendering. You need to do instancing.
Too many render settings. (This can be a pro or a con depending upon user)

Octane
Pros -
The best IPR I've ever seen in comparison to any renderer and I've tried a whole bunch of them. Vray, corona, Arnold, Modo, mantra and redshift.
Very good grading tools. Simple but very effective.
The Bloom and glare stuff is great.
Simpler render settings but lesser control. (This can again be a pro or a con)
Native sphere primitive which be used for point and particle rendering.

Cons-
Geometry limited to amount of GPU RAM
very rudimentary material system. no production ready shaders.
No support for attributes. There's a workaround but no native support.
Is slower on interiors because it's a brute force path tracer like mantra or Arnold.
No standard lights of any sort. Everything is based on a light shader applied to geometry like maxwell.

Beyond that, they both support pretty much everything Houdini has. Curve rendering for hair, volumes, vdb and instances(not packed primitives)

That's the stuff that comes to my mind right now. I have been making tutorials for both. You can see them on my Vimeo page and decide for yourself.

https://vimeo.com/rohandalvi/videos [vimeo.com]

Regards
Rohan Dalvi
www.rohandalvi.net
156 posts
sepu
There is a youtube channel

Ah. Thank you sepu.
Floyd Gillis
101 posts
Forgive me if this was already stated somewhere but I'm not seeing it. When exactly is H16 Indie being released for download? I know the event is tomorrow but it's not clear when the update is being made available. Thank you.

T
806 posts
> When exactly is H16 Indie being released for download?

That information is not in our database. :-)

In other words: Houdini 16 is expected to be “released later this month”, no specific date has yet been given.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
101 posts
malbrecht
> When exactly is H16 Indie being released for download?

That information is not in our database. :-)

In other words: Houdini 16 is expected to be “released later this month”, no specific date has yet been given.

Marc

Crap. That's not great news. We're publishing a pretty big course this month and we're holding onto it because all of the Houdini aspects of it need to be current.
806 posts
> We're publishing a pretty big course this month and we're holding onto it because all of the Houdini aspects of it need to be current.

I am in the same position. My course on rigging and animation in Houdini 16 has to wait until Houdini 16 is a) available to the public and b) I can record the specific chapters in the most up to date version.
That's the way it is, though. I really appreciate SideFX fixing bugs till the last minute (and after that) and polishing whatever is polishable - rather this than the rushed, premature releases some other companies are famous for.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
9 posts
Tobias Steiner
Forgive me if this was already stated somewhere but I'm not seeing it. When exactly is H16 Indie being released for download? I know the event is tomorrow but it's not clear when the update is being made available. Thank you.

T

On the Houdini Facebook site I asked, “Later this month? What day is the release date? Is Indie coming on that day too?”

Their answer, “The date will be announced on Monday. Indie and Apprentice will be available on that day.”

:-)
101 posts
CreateTheImaginable
Tobias Steiner

T

On the Houdini Facebook site I asked, “Later this month? What day is the release date? Is Indie coming on that day too?”

Their answer, “The date will be announced on Monday. Indie and Apprentice will be available on that day.”

:-)

So that's kinda the same answer. Smells like it will be some date after the live stream.
7 posts
Absolutely incredible release! So much goodness! Time to start making Houdini a major part of my 3D pipeline!
1755 posts
Will the stream stay up as a recording for those of us living on the dark side of the Earth?
538 posts
Thanks SESI. Very strong release!
One question. Is it possible to add simple python functions to new radial menus. Thanks
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
  • Quick Links