Edit Parameter Interface changes not saved

5803   7   1
52 posts
I know this should work, but I can't get edits to a digital assets parameter interface to save/update.
I unlock HDR_Lighting asset. I add a null parent a light to it and promote null rotate y. I can now rotate the light,with a slider, while the light looks at an object.

I click Accept.
I right click and select “Save Node Type”
I right click and select “Match Current Definition”

The HDR_Lighting asset is now locked.

I tab and select HDR_Lighting under “Digital Assets”.
The interface has not changed.
I close Houdini and reopen it.
The interface has not changed.

I have tried other combinations and can't save any changes.

I am using Indie 16.0.603.

Brad Carvey
Brad Carvey
52 posts
Appears to be my confusion over “Edit Parameter Interface” and “Type Properties”. I need to experiment, but after a Digital Asset is created, when editing you need to edit the parameters with “Type Properties”, then click apply or accept to save changes. Using “Edit Parameter Interface” seems to change only the current instance of the Digital Asset.

Follow up:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/network/edit_interface [www.sidefx.com]

There are 2 ways to edit a nodes interface.

To change a single nodes interface, which will be saved with the scene file, use “Edit Parameter Interface”.

To change a digital assets, use “Type Properties”
Edited by bradcarvey - 2017年9月22日 07:06:12
Brad Carvey
323 posts
Hi Brad,
i remember that i had the same confusion when learning HDAs.
I am working on a Tutorial and i included exactly this easy “confusion” as a possible pitfall.

Olaf
52 posts
I have played around with digital assets for a long time, but this was the first time I was creating some complicated assets for use by others. If I had refereed back to getting started videos, I probably won't have made the mistake and learned from it.

Respond to this post, when you have your tutorial online.

Brad
Brad Carvey
15 posts
Thanks. This post was helpful. This confused me as well and I was wondering where my interface went. I didn't realize that Edit Parameter Interface only affects a particular instance of a digital asset.
4 posts
I am having this same issue, is there any way to convert the parameters that I have already created to propagate to the main asset?

I was reading an older thread: sidefx domain + /forum/topic/19019/?page=1#post-290045

They suggested this: https://github.com/captainhammy/Houdini-Toolbox [github.com]

But I can't seem to find anyway to get this tool to work, and not sure if it's compatible with H17. I installed it, via houdini.env, but cant see any way to use it. Are there any other suggestions for getting these parameters into the main asset?

Thanks for any help.
900 posts
You can copy parameter from the parm editor iterface and paste it to the type properties window
1 posts
For anyone who has done the same thing, you can select all the parameters you have made in the ‘edit parameter interface window’, right click and select ‘save parameters to file’. Then in the ‘type properties’ window, click on the cog at the top right of the existing properties section, and select ‘install parameters from file’.
  • Quick Links