VDB scaling problem

4614   2   0
26 posts
I am very new to houdini and using VDB. Recently I have been provided a scene with models that are smaller than what I normally work with (I don't really understand a lot about scaling, so I normally just scale according to the grid). I tried to convert a polygon into VDB. I did this with the scale of the model provided and also my normal scale.
I want the VDB on the right to look like the one on the left, I have tried playing with the settings but I can't seem to get the VDB to look right?

I have limited knowledge of VDB, I have tried setting the unit in preferences and using volume vop to scale the density, but didn't seem to work?
Can someone please guide me to the right direction, sorry if this is a stupid question!
Edited by hyemily - 2017年11月5日 19:02:42

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2017-11-05 23-52-55.png (223.9 KB)

471 posts
Add a light and increase density.
Edited by Nima - 2017年11月6日 05:44:27
7741 posts
Density is a scale-independent property. However opacity, the visible property of volumes, is density and scale dependent because it is the integral of density over the distance the ray (light) travels through the volume.

Scaling a volume to 10x its size make's it appear 10x as dense, since opacity is integrated over linear distance the scaling factor is linear. Conversely, a volume that is one tenth the size will appear one tenth as dense.
  • Quick Links