Houdini on Ubuntu

7033   14   3
14 posts
Hi,

Just build a new machine, installed new Ubuntu and Houdini.

But Im getting some issues with display and in general. When I run help window Im getting weird display failures. Like GPU is failing or completely freeze the whole system.
Edited by JJ FX - 2018年6月3日 17:21:17
90 posts
JJ FX
Hi,

Just build a new machine, installed new Ubuntu and Houdini.

But Im getting some issues with display and in general. When I run help window Im getting weird display failures. Like GPU is failing or completely freeze the whole system.

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? The recommended one from SideFX is LTS 14. I find that Mint 18 had great support for Houdini
527 posts
Houdini runs like butter on my Dell 7577 laptop with KDE Neon.

The only issue is when I first boot up and log in there is some visual glitches around the mouse. But if I log out and log back in it runs perfectly.
soho vfx
14 posts
LLFA
JJ FX
Which version of Ubuntu are you using? The recommended one from SideFX is LTS 14. I find that Mint 18 had great support for Houdini

Im running 18.04 LTS
スタッフ
4159 posts
The Proprietary Nvidia drivers, if you haven't already
I'm o.d.d.
14 posts
goldleaf
The Proprietary Nvidia drivers, if you haven't already
Yeah did that too. And now I cannot even start Houdini. It completely freeze after splashscreen when the main window loads up.

Gonna try other distribution, as this might be an actual GPU failure. This is a brand new GPU card, so rather unlikely, but….
379 posts
I am using it on 18.04 with Nvidia without problems. I am almost 100% sure you did not install these drivers correctly. What does it says in About section?
Edited by SreckoM - 2018年6月11日 06:23:36
30 posts
SreckoM
I am using it on 18.04 with Nvidia without problems. I am almost 100% sure you did not install these drivers correctly. What does it says in About section?

Actually I reinstalled new system as I might have done few things not the way I should. Because last time I upg the nvidia drivers in terminal. This time I did that in settings manually. And I managed to run Houdini.

However still sometimes I get some viewport glitches, and aftet that I get a crash. But this time at least there was a backup file created.

Right now I have just:
1) Installed Ubuntu
2) Did updates manually
3) Updated NVIDIA drivers manually. However still in About section the system shows me gpu type NV60 (or sth like that, im at work now) but I have GTX1060.

And thats it for now. Ive read that you need gcc too for houdini. Not sure what that is actually, but know how to install it from terminal.

Im rather new to Linux, always worked on Win.
379 posts
No need to complicate so much.

First turn off Secure boot in BIOS. Did you do that?

When you say manually and terminal, what exactly does that mean? I install Ubuntu drivers by going Software updater and Additional drivers and check Nvidia proprietary.

No need for installing gcc, you have all that.

important thing is to turn off Secure boot.
スタッフ
5156 posts
Is it showing you “NVidia corporation” as the OpenGL Vendor? If not, you may have the open source drivers. I don't think I've ever seen the Nvidia proprietary driver display their GPUs as their codenames, only the marketing name.
2529 posts
I just installed Houdini 16.5.496 on Ubuntu 18.04 and I get a crash on launch.
I can still launch and use H16.5.378 just fine.

Any tips on how to get past a “HOM_OperationFailed” error?
Edited by Enivob - 2018年6月12日 12:27:57

Attachments:
untitled-2.jpg (170.9 KB)
untitled-1.jpg (124.8 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
30 posts
@SreckoM - I mean that I used Ubuntu settings tools for that. Ok when I get home will try disabling Secure boot in bios too.

@twod - will check that later tonight and will post you what I have
2529 posts
My issue was a 3rd party render system, Redshift was not compatible with the .496 release. Once I upgraded my Redshift to the latest version, which is matched to the H16.5.496 API, and altered my houdini.env to point to the new plug-in Houdini launched just fine.

This API mis-match could be an issue for Arnold users as well.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
14 posts
Ok so I checked today. And I have to say it finally recognize my GPU (GTX 1060). I might not have restarted the system after installing the drivers.

And the drivers Im using are proprietary Nvidia drivers. Exactly says:

Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390(poprietary, tested)

Ive read about this Secure Boot and Im not so sure if I want to disable it now. Lets wait a day or two and see if I keep getting crashes and issues with viewport.
379 posts
What does it says on About? As far as I know Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu will not work (at least not without issues) with Secure Boot enabled. Go to terminal and type nvidia-settings. Does it open settings window?
  • Quick Links