Learning Houdini - Steep Learning Curve

21077   45   7
323 posts
might make sense to leave this here:
https://youtu.be/vSSQOxoH7zI [youtu.be]
Approaching Houdini: Effective Learning Techniques
2036 posts
might make sense to leave this here:…

Very apropos…lot's of good points that apply to this whole thread that many would benefit from.
Edited by BabaJ - 2018年6月21日 18:43:46
320 posts
xilofoton
Everything is relative. So Houdini docs is cryptic, but check this example

However these manuals are great and every knob in the cockpit is well documented with crystal clear descriptions…

being an avionics guy from the USAF, this all makes perfect sense to me. of course in a couple of years Houdini will too but I'm impatient.
Edited by bobc4d - 2018年6月21日 19:37:05
2 posts
glitchi
The worst problem of Houdini learning curve is not that it is hard to learn, but actually everyone and their mother just casually assume you have 5 years of TD experience behind you when you ask even the simplest questions. Honest, when I tried to find help for ridiculously easy things (as they seem right now), people shared their project files which made me even more confused. “Oh that's easy, you just have to compute Tangents, but write them as Normals”. wat? (I remember when I came across this exact thing I felt so miserable and stupid)

This “everyone” is absolutely not assuming you have that much experience, they are purely answering a question without going into lengths to get you up to speed with all of the prerequisites. Keep in mind that the person answering had to start at the beginning as well at some point, just like you. Frankly the learning curve is not to cause any feelings of inadequacy in anyone, it usually simply means that you are not at a point where you can tackle or understand a particular problem yet, but you will be some day if you work at it.

glitchi
At any rate, I would love my hand at trying to be helpful, my goal in mind is to change the perception of Houdini from a strange scary beast to “I can not believe I have not started using it earlier”. Hopefully it clarifies my intention.

Now, I understand you steering this discussion towards your intention of changing the perception of H, and there is only one person who can do that - you. You have to work at it and get enough experience so it becomes less scary, there aren't any shortcuts to that
833 posts
DmitriB
Now, I understand you steering this discussion towards your intention of changing the perception of H, and there is only one person who can do that - you. You have to work at it and get enough experience so it becomes less scary, there aren't any shortcuts to that

So in your opinion there is nothing that could be improved in future versions of Houdini to simplify certain operations, or make some nodes more intuitive, and create a more efficient workflow for many users?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
122 posts
When the People look for advice asking for so And so
They believe in You.
Becouse they do not know.
We are like children we allway Believe in You words
Is easy in that case produce fog for that that.
Houdini core procedural modeling is the Best thing in the World And each relieze is even better.
Mantra is súper nice
Fx is magic
Carácter animación agaist for example blender is so farly better.
If you feel busy learning something do not forget that all superstar ártist had that time to.
But the Hard thing is be creative.
You can know everything And not produce nothing special and know a little And make a súper cool things.
How you Who want to be a magician can make feel to your audience something powerfull like kindness?
Edited by chevita - 2018年6月29日 01:02:05
  • Quick Links