Importing OBJ file, problem with uv-coordinates (solved!)

7777   5   3
3 posts
SOLVED!

If Anyone interested for solution reply thread!

———————————————————

Hi!
So I've made a mesh in 3ds max exported it to an .obj file. Imported it in houdini as an .obj.

So far so good, the mesh is loaded and renders, but the uv-coordinates are not loaded as they are laid out in 3ds.

I tried doing a planar uv-projec in houdinit, the same I did in 3ds max, although it changed nothing.
It looks like some sort of default uv-mapping is applied where each triangle has u and v coordinates between 0 and 1, which is quite far from what I want to do.

What do I do to make this work?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks on beforehand!

/Andreas :?:
Edited by - 2010年7月23日 11:01:59
スタッフ
2540 posts
Is the display flag on the UV Texture SOP? Or you are using the “Face” option on the UV Texture SOP to apply the uv's.

If you are getting an image per face then the raw st primitive coordinates are being used in the shader.

It could also be the material you are using… What does it look like in the viewport?

One way to find out how your textures are laying out is to append a UV QuickShade SOP and move the display flag to it then apply your texture map there. Note that this is to be used for visualising maps in the viewport only and NOT for rendering. Apply a material that supports texture maps for that.
There's at least one school like the old school!
3 posts
Thanks for your quick answer!

I was actually using a projectUV SOP, but I tried the one you mentioned with same result.

My material is just rendering one of the texture coordinates directly to the color output.

I've attached a preview.

On that image the texture coordinates should go smooth from white to black in vertical.

I'll try and see how uv quick shade may help

Attachments:
preview.png (1.0 MB)

18 posts
If you are importing UV's outside of 0-1 and trying to render them then I am having the exact same issue.
3 posts
rtalz
If you are importing UV's outside of 0-1 and trying to render them then I am having the exact same issue.

I checked the UVs in 3ds max, and they are in the range from 0 to 1.
280 posts
So? whats the solution?
https://www.thomaskchristensen.com [www.thomaskchristensen.com]
  • Quick Links