Houdini Redshift Render issues with surface (Newbie question)

3244   6   1
3 posts
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Redshift and have encountered a problem. When I rendered this geo with Mantra, I got a clean surface and no problems. When I do so with Redshift, I get these stripes. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience to find a solution. I already searched for a few hours for solutions. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? Thank you for your advises!

Attachments:
out_mantra.png (68.9 KB)
out_redshift.png (182.5 KB)
wireframe.png (515.4 KB)

44 posts
Did you try adding a “normal” node to that geometry?
3 posts
No, I did not before. But that solved the issue. Thank you! Is it possible that you tell me what background knowledge I am missing that I did not come up with this solution by myself?
44 posts
You can read about the normal node here and watch the video explaining the cusp angle. Sometimes geometry that is imported needs to be “fixed” to display and utilized correctly.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/normal.html [www.sidefx.com]
3 posts
Okay! Thank you very much for your support!
44 posts
No problem. I'm still learning too. Don't be too stressed about learning Houdini. Just keep at it and look things up to understand how you want things to work. Slowly, you'll learn how to navigate and it'll come easier, but just keep spending time…like guitar lessons!!! LOL
833 posts
lefinal
No, I did not before. But that solved the issue. Thank you! Is it possible that you tell me what background knowledge I am missing that I did not come up with this solution by myself?

Are you coming from C4D? Reason why I ask is that typically C4D automatically adds a Normal and UV map tag while Houdini doesn't automatically add anything. I think many who come from C4D can get confused from this since C4D shields them from ever really having to deal with Normals and UV maps for the most part.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links