Fur / Hair not following a animated .abc (this is not a static base deform problem I think)

777   2   2
12 posts
Hi

I have made a post about this but thought I would make a more in depth one. Hopefully someone could lend some wisdom.

Scenario is you have a animated body mesh but also animated hair mesh. The animated hair mesh will be filled with hair and to drive the curves. So there won't be any simulation but there would be movement on the guides.

When I use the deform groom node it works for the body mesh but not the animated hair mesh. This completely makes sense but is there a workflow for this?

You have hair growing out of a humans head
The hair is shaped by geometry (filling the velocity field)
The hair geometry is animated, and this needs to drive or deform the guides accordingly
The body is also animated, walking/running etc.

Is this possible at all?

Thanks
385 posts
Can you post a .hip file?
12 posts
Hi

I hope this will help. I tried to comment things where I think is necessary. This test scene would be scaled up of course and the cylinder would be 10 or more potentially.

Currently this works and is following the animation but I can't add any modifiers like clumping/cut etc. It crashes houdini when I export the .ass file to use in Maya.

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
curve anim debug.zip (298.3 KB)

• Quick Links