HOUDINI_PATH Confusion

5345   6   2
679 posts
Hey Everybody,

I´m trying to set up my houdini.env file in a way it works correctly. The thing is I'm using redshift, direct modeling, MOPS and the game development Toolset. So the problem I got is that the $HOME variable is not working. I can check this by trying to create a permanent default for any node. So my .env file looks like this. What am I doing wrong? I`m on Windows….

Cheers CYTE

# REDSHIFT
PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH"
RS = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/17.5.293;&"

# MOPS
MOPS = "C:/Users/cyte/Documents/houdini17.5/MOPS"
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = $MOPS/otls;@/otls 
HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH = $MOPS/toolbar;@/toolbar
HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH = $MOPS/scripts;@/scripts

# Direct Modeling
DM = "C:/Users/cyte/Documents/houdini17.5/DM/DM;&"

# Game Development Toolset
GA = "C:/Users/cyte/Documents/houdini17.5/GameDev;&"

#SET PATH
HOUDINI_PATH = "$HOUDINI_PATH;&;$DM;&;$RS;&;$GA"
Edited by CYTE - 2019年8月17日 15:27:22
7759 posts
Why do you have ‘&’ in your Houdini path more than once? That's bound to cause problems. It should be at the end only.
679 posts
Thank you jsmack! That was the issue.

Cheers
CYTE
359 posts
Hey CYTE,

You're using some pretty outdated installation instructions for MOPs. You only need to modify HOUDINI_PATH now, not all the other stuff. If you have Houdini 17.5, you also have the option of using “packages” which are a much simpler method of installation than before. Take a look at the latest README.MD on the Github page for updated instructions.
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
833 posts
Interesting, can this be applied to the other 3rd party extensions such as Game Dev Toolkit, Redshift, Direct Modeling etc?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
359 posts
Midphase
Interesting, can this be applied to the other 3rd party extensions such as Game Dev Toolkit, Redshift, Direct Modeling etc?

Yep, absolutely! As long as the package is set up in a more or less “standard” way, where otls are in <package_root>/otls and scripts are in <package_root>/scripts/python and so on, you can just make a <packagename>.json file in your $HOME/houdinixx.x/packages directory and set “path” (short for HOUDINI_PATH) to point to whatever package root you need it to be. You can have as many individual package files as you like, so it's much simpler to add or remove things as needed.

For example, if you wanted to install Redshift via a package by manually setting PATH and HOUDINI_PATH:

{
"env": [
{
"HOUDINI_PATH": "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/17.5.293"
},
{
"PATH": "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin"
}
],
}

Official docs are here [www.sidefx.com].
Edited by toadstorm - 2019年8月20日 18:59:32
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
7759 posts
Midphase

I setup all my packages to be this way, it makes it easy to enable/disable them. Sort of a poor mans' REZ.

I found a fun bug (since fixed) when setting up renderman using packages. One of the default renderman installation folders contains the word ‘For’ and that's interpreted as code!
  • Quick Links