Can't find HDRP shader for example scene

3041   2   1
29 posts
Hey there,
I just picked up Houdini Indie yesterday for use with Unity. I figured that the software known throughout the industry to be the de facto standard when it comes to amazing visual effects would be a great compliment to the Unity High-Definition Render Pipeline, only to open it up, install the Houdini Engine plugin in a new HDRP project and discover there are no HDRP shaders. I thought, no big deal, I can just change out the shader for a default HDRP compatible one, so I do, but then Houdini Engine changes it right back to the non-compatible one.

Is there something else I need to do or is Houdini Engine really not compatible with the Unity Scriptable Render Pipeline? Relatively soon the Universal Render Pipeline variation of the SRP is going to become the default renderer, so without SRP support Houdini Engine seemingly won't work out of the box for anyone creating a new project in new versions of Unity.

Thanks,
Edited by instanceid - 2019年12月3日 22:18:54
571 posts
You can specify the default shader to use in HoudiniEngine > Plugin Settings > GEOMETRY:
Then set Default Standard Shader to HDRP/Lit

Once 2019.3 has been released, we can look at automatically creating the default shader based on the project's chosen render pipeline, using the new APIs that Unity provides to do so.

You can also specify an existing material in Unity, via an attribute called “unity_material”: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_attributes.html [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by seelan - 2019年12月4日 16:57:46

Attachments:
heu_shader_settings.png (67.3 KB)

29 posts
Hey there,
I appreciate the reply and information. Being new to Houdini Engine, I was not sure if the shader played any sort of significant role in the functionality, so it is definitely good to know that it can be swapped out. As a side note, 2019.3 beta is no longer available and 2019.3.0f1 was released on Nov. 27th.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links