Houdini Engine for Modo

9000   11   2
155 posts
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find any information about this so I ask here:
Will there eventually be a Houdini Engine PlugIn for Modo?

thanks
Chris
678 posts
https://github.com/ttvd/HoudiniEngineForModo [github.com]
155 posts
mantragora

thanks for the reply mantragora
I will definitely look into that

I was just hoping for more of an official plugIn announcement or something more self-explanatory to use for someone who doesn't really know much about compiling code and stuff
173 posts
Please note, this is not an official Side Effects project. It was created as a starting base for someone who'd want to work on Houdini Engine / Modo integration. It is still in very experimental stage (you can see what's planned and what's working on the page). Hopefully once it is stable enough binary builds will/can be provided.
76 posts
Hello Mykola
Thank you for making of HEM and support! :idea:
i'm sorry for my English
25 posts
So there is currently no plan for an official modo version?
スタッフ
1182 posts
There is currently no plan. We want to make sure that the existing plug-ins (Maya, Unity, Unreal) that SideFX is developing are in top shape before we explore other plug-ins. A small test was done for Modo but there are no official plans to take it any further. If that changes in the future then an announcement will be made.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
52 posts
FYI, the Houdini Engine for Modo git repository has been removed.

This like is no longer valid.

Brad Carvey
Brad Carvey
1 posts
Would be awesome to have Houdini Engine to MODO.
3 posts
andlohmann
Would be awesome to have Houdini Engine to MODO.
I agree. Hope there will be very soon…
379 posts
Yeah, would love to see this!
806 posts
Apologies for entering this thread - I cannot speak for sideFX, but I have been a long time modo-supporter (starting with version 1 or 2?) and was frozen out by the “modo community” a few years ago, finding shelter here with Houdini.

My question, in a rhetorical sense, is: Would modo by now even be able to leverage a Houdini bridge? Back in my days (the latest version I really used was 8, then a tiny bit of 9 before “it happened”) modo's API was horrible to deal with, all single-threaded, each point had to be transferred individually (to outside plugins), it was all incredibly slow and cumbersome. You would get NaN results from API calls, so you not only had to check for “validity” in mathematical terms, you also had to check each value returned from modo for it actually being a VALUE.
With Fabric Engine it worked to some degree, but even there integration was like submarine-soldering: Don't touch it, don't expect too much of it.

IF modo has made significant - or better call it “dramatic”? - progress in its interoperability (and its user count has multiplied by ten, I guess) looking into Houdini/modo bridging might make sense. If modo is still in its “we-know-better”-state, the resources required to integrate the two worlds would better be spent on a Blender-bridge (I know, licensing issues prohibit this officially, I am more talking about an outside-job!).

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
  • Quick Links