Simple Maps Baker Artifacting

2032   3   0
18 posts
Hi All,

I'm using the labs map baker and getting some strange artifacting across all of my maps (color, normal, ao)

I've tried all different resolutions & exploding the parts to bake separately. The only time I can get it to not show up is if I split all the parts and bake them individually. But I don't know how to composite the maps from 5 individual map bakers back together if they are sharing 1 UV set (and regardless I loose the proper AO when I do it this way).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Edited by JakeOpp - 2020年1月7日 17:13:31

Attachments:
Aritfacts_01.png (1.7 MB)

197 posts
Hi,

This could be a couple of things.
1. (most likely) Do you have overlapping UVs? Or lamina faces? (overlapping geometry)
2. Try changing the trace mode to surface normal, and reduce the trace distance parm.

If that doesn't help, feel free to either post an example file here.. Or send it to support so I can take a look.

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
18 posts
Thanks for the quick reply as always, Paul.

I was already using surface normal and I cleaned up my mesh but it didn't help.

However, it led me to the solution eventually.

Having to wait for the clean node got me to think about the poly count of my high poly model which was very, very high. (28million because I was too lazy to optimize :/ )
I did some reductions upstream and it has solved the issue.

So just as an FYI for anyone else that may run into this issue, test out lower poly counts to see if it helps.
75 posts
I've been having this issue as well for quite a while, and unfortunately lowering the poly count of the high res surface isn't an option as it causes a noticeable loss of detail. Anything about 16ish million polys causes this issue. No amount of setting tweaking will fix it. It will happen on something like a converted heightfield with perfect uv's and geometry as well.

Would it be possible to get the root issue looked at please?
Edited by smbell - 2020年4月16日 18:18:33
  • Quick Links