Differences between Local cook and render farm cook tasking.

1320   1   1
1 posts
First and foremost, I'm new to PDG and setting up a hqueue render farm so hopefully there's an easy solution to my issue and I'm just unaware of it.

I've set up a hqueue server/client on a machine (the machine has 40 proc cores as opposed to my workstation machine which has only 12) and I've set up a TOPS network on my workstation computer with an hqueuescheduler node pointing at my render farm machine. I also have another TOPS network set up within my HIP file that's running the same operations but the scheduler is local because I wanted to compare speeds.

The operations that I'm doing inside of the TOPS networks are simple, I'm importing geo and then doing a 40 count wedging operation on it to warp the geo randomly and then export the warped version (a ropgeometry node). I'm also doing a ropmantra render from a camera to render out 40 screen shots essentially.

The issue I have seems to be task distribution over multiple CPUs, in my localscheduler TOPS network, I set Maximum CPUs to Use to -1, and when I cook my ropgeometry node, it will begin to cook 11 jobs out of the 40 at a time and complete the cook relatively fast. When I cook the same node in my hqueuescheduler TOPS network, the node displays only 1 active cook out of 40… despite having 40 CPUs on my render farm machine. When I set my hqueuescheduler Task Environment to either 0 or -1… or even when I manually set CPUs per Jobs, it doesn't seem to speed up the process at all. Am I missing something? Is this a permissions or licensing issue potentially?
603 posts
HQueue will schedule according to ‘cpus’ that are allocated. So if you set CPUs per job each job will consume that many slots. If you don't set any CPUs per job value then it defaults to using the whole client. Could you attach your hip and job diagnostic file?
  • Quick Links