Problems rendering ocean extended with white water. Crashes!

638   0   1
15 posts
Hi Guys.

I'm using Houdini 18 Indie. I've been a houdini user since early 2018. I work mostly with flips and oceans. I've got a couple shots where the ocean and extended is simulated, cached, and rendered with a spaceship in there as collision. Everything's great.

The problem happens when I simulated and rendered white water with the flip fluid extended. If I place the render flags on all three (white water, fluid extended, and fluid interior) Houdini cranks up my ram memory right to the ceiling (64 gb) in no time everytime. I have to esc or cancel so the system doesn't crash. It's weird. When I render the ocean and flip on it's own it works. When I render the white water on it's own it works but when I render them together it runs out of memory and crashes.

Does anyone have any idea why this is or what the work around would be for this? I can try to render them separately and import them into Nuke and composite them together but I think it'll look weird because of the rendered white water bubbles under the surface that will show.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Pierre

Attachments:
UFOShipChase_Shot_01_05Height_WhiteWater01.hiplc (3.9 MB)

Pierre-James
pierrejamesart.com
  • Quick Links