UVs moving during cloth simulation

5384   7   0
20 posts
Hi. Does anyone know how to prevent uvs from moving during a cloth simulation in vellum? I've found a few things online regarding this but none have worked. For example, I have a geometry node, it feeds into a uv texture node to give it uvs, and then that feeds into the vellum cloth system. When I render this the uvs are shifting and moving on the object, I don't get it. I've tried copying the geometry and then using an attribute copy node, to copy the uvs from the still geometry to the simulation geometry but that is not working either. The uvs shift so it looks like the material is sliding around on the object. Attached a copy of my scene, thanks.

Attachments:
GummyBears.hiplc (1007.8 KB)

648 posts
see attached…
can't see the .objs, but filenames look like they're the same.

Attachments:
GummyBears_onesrc.hiplc (902.9 KB)

20 posts
Hi,

Sorry, but I can't tell what was changed. The render nodes are all different now can't get the materials i had in place back. I'm not seeing a difference in the node setup for this hip though, it has the object into the uv texture node, and then that node going into the vellum nodes. I try that on my end though and it doesn't work, the materials slide around still. Or is there some other change im missing?
648 posts
for deforming geo freeze & map it, copy uvs onto deforming geo.

Attachments:
uvxfer.hiplc (221.9 KB)

833 posts
Is this the only way to get a UV texture to stick to a dynamic object?

I'm using Vellum to animate a flag and your solution works great, but this seems like a really more complex solution than it ought to be. I feel like there ought to be a checkbox to tick in the Vellum Post node that should be able to internally achieve the same goal?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
23 posts
BUmp Why not just keep UV in Vellum as standard workflow ??
Most Joy
Thomas4D
“The Bruce Lee of XYZ”
7747 posts
What have you done to end up without uv's in the first place? This feels like trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
8535 posts
just looking at your original file it looks like you
- either need to swap inputs of the Attrib Copy as (to copy uv from static to vellum geo)
- or change attribute in Attrib Copy to P (to copy P from vellum to uv-d geo)
- or put uv texture after transform1 to get uvs onto geo before sim
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links